Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Help with changing 'Typical Hours Worked in a Day'

Level 1
My company has decided to change the Typical Hours Worked in a Day from 8 hour to 6.5 hours. Is there a way to do this without affecting the schedules of active projects? Sue Gerrity
7 Replies

Level 10
You should be able to go to Setup > Schedules and create a new schedule with the new hours. Then go to your new projects and set the Schedule setting to the new schedule – open the project and go to Edit Project and you'll find the Schedule setting. You may also want to make sure your older projects are using the old schedule name. Hope that makes sense. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 10
Hi Sue - are you talking about changing Schedules to be for fewer hours per day, or changing the hours per work day in the project preferences? The latter might have more widespread implications, however I have never tried changing it from the standard 8 hours. Out of curiousity, why did your company decide to change this to 6.5? Is it because they want to reserve time for other work? Based on my understanding, if you change the typical hours per day setting then you need to make people well aware that 6.5 hours is the new standard for a day, so if they put in 8 hours as a task duration out of habit, it will span more than a day's duration. Our official standard work day is 7.6 hours, but our Workfront implementation consultant advised that it is more trouble than it is worth to go customising the standard workday hours. Much easier to stick with an even number. David Cornwell

Level 4
changing from 8 hours daily to less or more changing from 5 days weekly to less or more implication areas to explore planned working hours on the schedules defined in the system schedules selected on users schedules selected on projects schedules selected on templates planned durations on all work tasks (no children), as these often shift their calculations when schedules are changed planned durations on all work template tasks (no children), as these often shift their calculations when schedules are changed reports that use some standard value (like 8 or 40 hourss) to derive days or weeks in calculations as in reports, calculated fields that use some standard value to derive days in calculations as in reports, views that use some standard value to derive days in calculations estimating practices made with an assumption that 8 hours is a work day and 5 days is the work week A better way could be setting up an operations project based on the following: The operations project is set up for the manager for each one month (or some other) period. The team members are each allocated to a task for the period. Allocate the person to each task to allocate them for the same amount of time for the work day change - this makes them draw down availability like saying you have 5$ less in a 40$ balance in a debit card. The money is still there, but the rest of the system says overallocated when crossing the 35 hours mark in a week. Alert the people that this task could show up in their My Work panel and other personal reports - we need the project in current to drive other functions. An alternative to this is just make the task name - Monthly Day Dreaming I Did Happy trails on a Wednesday! Just my two cents..

Level 10
Great info Jim - this elaborates on my caution against changing the defaults :) David Cornwell

Level 3
Our consultant advised the same thing. Stay with even hours. We modified the FTE level for each team member. So instead of being 1 (or 100% of their time is available to perform work in WF), we assigned, 0.75, or 0.8 or 0.65 etc., depending on how much time each person could be expected to be in non-project related meetings or other non WF activities. It works quite well for us. Bill Gattinger ATB Financial Edmonton AB 780-686-3957

Level 10
Bill - I wasn't aware that the FTE value was used for anything, much less availability of a resource. We've changed the FTE value and see no change in the availability of resources. Is it your opinion that changing the FTE value changes the availability of people to be whatever that fraction is within their schedule? So if their schedule says they are available 40 hours a week, and the FTE is 0.75, then they show up in the Resource Schedule as being available 30 hours a week? We reduced the number of work hours in a day by modifying schedules. It was done to account for time people aren't available to work on projects. We also used 6.5 hours a day in our schedule. The other 1.5 hour was time spent doing non-project work, we assumed. I determined that having a blanket 1.5 hours allocated to non-project work was too generic and lacked specificity. Some people worked 100% on support, some 25%. Having a blanket 6.5 hours did not accurately represent what we were doing. We moved our schedules back to 8 hours a day, and handled the support allocation differently. Thanks! Eric Lucas Eric MPM eric.lucas@crowley.com Crowley Information Technology

Level 6
We have a 7.5 hour day for all our WF users (115 people in an IT department). We setup a project for each team called a 'Reserve' project (and give it a project status of the same name). In that project we enter a task for each team member and allocate time as required to reduce their availability to work on projects. This works well as you can customise it per person. E.g. the team manager doesn't have much time to work on projects so his allocation in the Reserve project is set to 25 hours per week so his availability per week is only 12.5 hours – hours he can work on projects. For the PMO, we allocate 10 hours a week to each PM for 'admin' time, i.e any time that they aren't working on a project. That way they can't become over allocated with projects. This setup still allows the user to enter actual time and with some good reports you can keep sight of actuals vs planned and adjust allocations as needed. Hope this helps...... Regards, Laura Ray Junior Project Manager Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 "www.Bakkavor.com"> www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com