Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Has anyone done the SharePoint Integration? What are the biggest benefits?

Level 5
[Description: cid:image003.jpg@01CBEA18.415CB320] MACK MOORE * PROJECT MANAGER 616 954 6345 PHONE * 616 293 5488 CELL MMOORE2@NHASCHOOLS.COM< 3850 BROADMOOR SE * GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49512
6 Replies

Level 6
Hi Mack I sighed when I read your question...... We have used the SharePoint integration for the majority of our first year using Workfront and we are ready to recommend that our users stop linking SharePoint docs and use the 'url' field in the project and task description. It's been a long road and initially looked good but it's very buggy. Some of the issues we've had are: 1. Links breaking when a doc is renamed in SharePoint 2. Incorrect owner names showing on a linked doc in Workfront 3. Links remain in Workfront despite a doc being deleted in SharePoint 4. Opening linked doc in Workfront while using Chrome actually downloads the doc rather than opening in 365 We love using SharePoint for managing and storing our docs but we love how Workfront handles document approvals. We ask our users to upload the final doc draft as a pdf into Workfront and then use the approval process there. This works very well as it's clear which version of a doc was approved. You can't do that with a link because the ability remains for someone to make changes in SharePoint even after approval. I hope this helps. You could give it a try but my guess is you'll end up in the same place we have... disappointed. Happy to help with any further questions. :) Regards, Laura Ray Junior Project Manager Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com<

Level 5
Laura, Thank you so much for the detailed description, that is very helpful! Based on your feedback I will certainly circle with our group to see if we shouldn't go a different way. Are we correct in our understanding that there's no way to edit a document saved in Workfront without downloading it, amending it, and reloading it? That's our biggest pain point at the moment and the primary reason I was interested in the Sharepoint integration. Thanks again!

Level 6
Hi Mack Just to clarify your terminology a little…. You say ‘edit a document SAVED in Workfront’ - for me this means it’s a document actually uploaded into Workfront rather than linked via SharePoint - important distinction. If this is what you meant then as far as I can tell, if you try and edit a doc saved in Workfront then in Chrome it does download it. To be honest we don’t really do this so I’m not completely sure how it works. I know there’s a check in and out feature in WF and it collects the versioning too. I have seen other threads in the community on this topic that might help you. Because SharePoint is so good at version control and doc handling - especially with 365, we will stick with it and honestly it’s really not a problem. We have about 100 Workfront users, about half of which regularly use SharePoint and WF for project management. Although we originally told them to use the SharePoint connector and add links to the projects and tasks, we have now changed to suggesting they just add the SharePoint URL to the project document set or individual docs, to the Project/Task Details - URL box, so that anyone working on their project can easily find the relevant docs. This seems to be working well. I know several PMs who have WF and SharePoint open all day and they simply go straight to SharePoint if they want to work on a doc or if they want to work on the project etc then they go into WF. I do the same and it’s a great setup. I think I mentioned before that we don’t feel that SharePoint’s document approvals is as good as Workfront’s so that’s why we have a process where any document that requires a final approval - for example a Business Case, it’s saved as a pdf then actually uploaded into WF, selected and then names added to the ‘approval’ box for those users you want to approve the doc. This adds a nice flow to a project as well where you can find the key, approved docs right there with all the other vital project info. I’m happy to help further if I can. Keep me posted. Regards, Laura Ray Junior Project Manager Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com<

Level 10
Hi Laura and Barry. Interesting debate, and similar to a conversation I had yesterday. In that case, Google Docs got the initial nod with the concept of using the URL links (as you recommended, Laura) for working documents, and also pulling in final "official versions" into Workfront for approval and/or version control locking. A hybrid approach. The last bit of discussion was whether Dropbox would in fact be better than Google Docs, given that Dropbox has a "for businesses" option, as well as better security. Regards, Doug

Level 1
Hi Laura I was interested to read your post as I was looking at other's experiences since we have just integrated with SharePoint Online. Given that this post was from a year ago, has anyone got any view on whether the situation has improved? Julia Rowley AVEVA

Level 2
Technical Workaround: Under Documents Add New Proof Then paste Sharepoint share link in the green web space and hit Enter. Click Create Proof (changing any other settings is optional) Then the clickable link is in your documents. You can then click Document Details, delete the link, and add a new title/name. After you hit Enter, the link itself will still work. Sophie Besl JFF