Expand my Community achievements bar.

Group projects by owner home group name?

Level 10
hi folks, I'm trying to make a project report grouped by owner's home group name. I only have the home group ID field available in grouping, so I textmoded it to make it name instead of ID. It worked fine in the details tab but is No Value in the summary and chart tabs. Is that normal? (does it just not work?) Any workarounds I might have missed? Thank you! -skye
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Level 10
Hi Skye, Unfortunately, anytime you touch groupings in text mode, you can't do charts or summary tabs. What I did for Home Team and for Home Group is created a calculated field on the user's custom form that display that info so I could use it in groupings, matrix, summary, and charts. The calculation is just Home Team.Name or Home Group.Name. Just remember you have to recalculate custom expression by bulk editing all the users. (I always forget that part and then think my calculation is wrong, when it isn't. LOL!) Hope that is helpful Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10
thanks Anthony, that's helpful. I had gotten as far as the calculated field and was trying to avoid putting it on the projects, and didn't even think to put it on the user :). What else do you put on the user that might be useful?? :D -skye

Level 10

I've added these over the years for one reason or another... I think that having the calculation on the form enabled charts when building certain types of reports.

· Entry Date

· Entered by Name

· License Name

· Access Level Name

· Home Group Name

· Home Team Name

· Primary Job Role Name

· Last Updated Date

· Last Updated By

· Plan License Assigned IF(License="F", IF(ISBLANK(Plan License Assigned),$$NOW,Plan License Assigned),"")

· Work License Assigned IF(License="T", IF(ISBLANK(Work License Assigned),$$NOW,Work License Assigned),"")

Level 10

My favorite one is Manager Hierarchy. This shows you multiple levels of managers. You can then build reports for whole departments that are dynamic.

Here is the code:

CONCAT(IF(!ISBLANK(Manager),Manager),IF(!ISBLANK(Manager.Manager), ", "+ Manager.Manager),IF(!ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager

), ", "+

Manager.Manager.Manager

),IF(!ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

), ", "+

Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

),IF(!ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

), ", "+

Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

),IF(!ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

), ", "+

Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

),IF(!ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

), ", "+

Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

),IF(!ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

), ", "+

Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

),IF(!ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

), ", "+

Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

),IF(!ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

), ", "+

Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager

))

Level 10

this is awesome. Did you ever figure out how to get the Active Layout Template calculated field in? On the report it looked like this:

IF(!ISBLANK({layoutTemplateID}),{layoutTemplate}.{name},IF(ISBLANK({layoutTemplateID})&&!ISBLANK({role}.{layoutTemplateID}),{role}.{layoutTemplate}.{name},IF(ISBLANK({layoutTemplateID})&&ISBLANK({role}.{layoutTemplateID})&&!ISBLANK({homeTeam}.{layoutTemplateID}),{homeTeam}.{layoutTemplate}.{name},IF(ISBLANK({layoutTemplateID})&&ISBLANK({role}.{layoutTemplateID})&&ISBLANK({homeTeam}.{layoutTemplateID})&&!ISBLANK({homeGroup}.{layoutTemplateID}),{homeGroup}.{layoutTemplate}.{name},"No Layout Template Applied"))))

I can't get a good translation for the Role.Layout Template.ID/Name part, and frankly, even leaving out that part, the rest of the calculation isn't working out too well. I got as far as the below before giving up.

IF(!ISBLANK(Layout Template.ID),Layout Template.Name), IF(ISBLANK(Layout Template.ID)&&!ISBLANK(Role.Layout Template.ID),Role ID.Layout Template.Name), IF(ISBLANK(Layout Template.ID)&&ISBLANK(Role.Layout Template.ID)&&!ISBLANK(Home Team.Layout Template.ID),Home Team.Layout Template.Name), IF(ISBLANK(Layout Template.ID)&&ISBLANK(Role.Layout Template.ID)&&ISBLANK(Home Team.Layout Template.ID)&&!ISBLANK(Home Group.Layout Template.ID),Home Group.Layout Template.Name)

Level 10

Well, Kathy & I only put layout templates on individual users. It was too confusing to figure out who had what when you have some on individuals, some on roles, and some on teams.

So for me the field is just Layout Template.Name

Sorry I can't be much help with that.

Level 2

Hello @Skye Hansen,

Does your Text Mode Code cover the "Assigned To > Home Group Name" (not ID) on an Assignment based Report? If so, are you able to share the Text Mode Code with me? Thanks for your time.

Community Advisor

hi Seth, I'm not sure, are you very new to reporting? Maybe your understanding of the above conversation is unclear -- if so, the crucial elements are in Anthony's response: this is a calculated field we put on a custom form to attach to the user. The calculation is just "Home Group.Name". And then in a report, this is no other text mode needed. You simply group by your calculated field rather than by the Home Group ID.