Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Grant project access, but limit tasks users can see

Level 10

Hi WF Community,

Does anyone know if it's possible to grant a user access to a project, but only allow them to see certain tasks when viewing a project?

I thought maybe I could just remove sharing access on the tasks I don't want the user to see, but this doesn't work because that user is included in the tasks inherited permission group from project sharing, and if I remove that, other users won't be able to see that task.

I was going to remove sharing for that user at the project level, and only add them at the task level, but this then impacts a project dashboard we have for users where they can see projects they are included on.

Anyhow, curious if there's a path forward on this?

Thanks.

Nick

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi Nick,

One approach I've recently adopted is to create reviewer licensed "Audience" users (e.g. First Name = "Audience:", Last Name = "Investors"), assign those users to only the Tasks that they are entitled to see, create a Task filter (e.g. "Audience: Investors") that then only returns such tasks, use that on a report, and even do a Run As/Share of that report to those who need only see the certain tasks.

Regards,

Doug

Level 10

Thanks for this idea, Doug. I will keep it in my tray of potential solutions when discussing with stakeholders.

Level 9

We have done this on a few occasions. Our process was to create the project, then disable inherited permissions, then create the tasks. Each task must then also have inherited permissions disabled to ensure someone doesn't accidentally get access. Lastly, the desired people are shared to the appropriate tasks. As you can see it is a process, and this is also why it has not been done often. Workfront is designed for sharing, not restricting, so what you are looking to do is difficult.

In our scenario, we have really examined what we thought we needed to restrict and found that it wasn't necessary after all. Additionally you can explore removing access to custom forms or documents and keeping your confidential data there instead of in task updates or tasks themselves.

Just thoughts. Good luck in finding something that works! Doug's idea is definitely intriguing.

Level 10

Good points, Alison. Thanks for sharing.