Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Getting a requesters name on a custom form

Level 4

I know this sounds a little repetitive as the requester/primary contact is in the overview section, but our stakeholder wants to have the requester name on their overall request/project form. Any chance someone knows/has the text to be able to do this? 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Ah, I got it! 

Text: {convertedOpTaskOriginator}.{name} 

Thanks for the starting point!

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Level 10

If I understand correctly, you can create a custom field in Issue type form, follow the number in below image.

2023_08_15_10_15_46_Settings.jpg

Then attach this custom form to you issue --> Pull this custom field in your report (Issue).

It will show the requestor name.

Level 4

This makes sense if it were to stay a request. The problem is they then convert this to a project. Using that owner concept looks fine on the request but changes to the project owner when converted.

Community Advisor

One additional point on the field for your request. {owner} = the primary contact, which is often the requestor, but not always. You may want {enteredByID} instead, if you want the user that submitted the request.

Or you may really want the primary conact just be aware of the difference.

Community Advisor

So, if I understand correctly, the Requestor name needs to be on the custom form for the Request and Project, right? If so, you could do two sets of text mode on the custom form (unfortunately), one on the Request pulling Primary Contact Name and then one on the Project pulling Converted Requestor Originator Name (convertedOpTaskOriginator:name). Definitely not ideal, but the only way to pull the fields natively unless you want to go the typeahead field route and have the Requestor reenter their name on the custom form.

Hope that helps!

Level 4

That's what I tried and I keep getting an error! I even tried a period, and using "{}" instead of parenthesis. 

Do you think I NEED to have the request field set up first? I didnt think it mattered. 

Correct answer by
Level 4

Ah, I got it! 

Text: {convertedOpTaskOriginator}.{name} 

Thanks for the starting point!

Community Advisor

Glad you got it, I must have had reporting text mode on the brain, ha!

Level 4

I tried to use this option {convertedOpTaskOriginator}.{name}, but I am still getting just user ID in this field, not the name. What am I doing wrong?

Any thoughts?

Community Advisor

Are you building this in a calculated field on a custom form for a project or somewhere else? I just tested the code on a project custom form and it's working as expected.

KellieGardner_0-1698352216404.png

Level 4

Yes, this is a custom form that is used in Project, Task and Issue and I use the same value for calculated field, but it populates either number in the preview or N/A.

Our editor window looks different, though.

Viktoriia_0-1698357576864.pngViktoriia_1-1698357626538.png

Update: I found the Maximize window, thank you, but another issue that I see only limited list of items in Preview/Find object. How can I add projects/issue that I need there?

Level 4

So far I was able partially achieve what was needed in our setting using the following:

- for issue:

IF(ISBLANK({DE:Requested By})||{DE:Requested By}={enteredBy}.{name},{enteredBy}.{name},{DE:Requested By})

- for project: 
IF(ISBLANK({DE:Requested By})||{DE:Requested By}={DE:Requested By},{convertedOpTaskOriginator}.{name},{enteredBy}.{name})

Is there a way to combine these expressions in one field, so that it would display right the original requestor (from issue) both in the Issue and project?