Expand my Community achievements bar.

Getting a list of people assigned to tasks on a project report WITHOUT repeating their names

Level 4

Hello community, 

I cannot think of a way to do this, and we have Fusion if needed.

We have a stakeholder who wants to see all people who are assigned to tasks in a project report BUT they don't want to repeat the list of names if they are assigned to more than one task. The "people" tab was my first thought but we have individuals who convert requests to projects who aren't really assigned to anything that we wouldnt want to show up on the report. I know the answer could be have a project manager delete unnecessary users from the People tab, but that wouldnt happen that much, no matter how hard we train. 

We tried a collection report to only show active tasks assignees, but in many cases there is more than one task open per user, making their names repeat in the report. 

8 Replies

Employee Advisor

The only way to pull in assigned users to a project report is through collections, which as you are well aware, will repeat names if a user is assigned to multiple tasks. This can be done through an assignment report, although that would be separate. What is the PM needing to do with the list of users assigned to tasks? 

Community Advisor

To piggyback on this, could your task report filter out anyone with XYZ role and that would filter out the PMs?

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 4

Hello! 

The task report wouldn't suffice. They are looking for it at a project level. I am trying to think of ways to have Fusion do this. Fingers crossed

Level 4

So this is more for leadership reporting, and just overall high level reporting. We have some leadership who want to see all our active projects that follow a certain criteria with some project details (so I project report), but want to see all of the team members assigned to tasks (so the collection reporting). 

I would love to use the people but the way our process with this team is that there is a resource manager who converts the request to a project, so they are put in the people tab but not on the project. I thought we were able to pull some collection off of this, but there is a caveat, SOME resource managers do work on projects. 

Overall, there is no easy way to say who the project team was other then who was assigned to tasks. And then the assignment report or even task report doesnt work because again, this is for leadership reporting. They dont want all of the tasks per project listed in the report. 

Simple answer, tell the project managers to delete the people from the people tab who are not on the project. But as we all know, the stakeholder wants to move more towards automated workflows. 

Community Advisor

If the task report works to get this list of user names that you want, you can pull project details into a task report. And even filter task reports by project details.

Level 4

Thanks Heather! 

The task report won't work. Based on who the receiver of this report is (senior management), they do not want the repeating line items per project. This is the headache I am running into. None of the out of the box options work due to our processes and the expectations of the output of the report. 

Employee Advisor

You can filter the Project Users' collection to say something along the lines of "only show me users without the job role of Resource Manager" but if you have RMs that should be included, you would need to add additional criteria so they appear on that list. 

Here is sample text mode you could follow - this one says only pull in users whose job role does not equal Project Manager (you would need to swap the ID with the ID of the role within your instance)

displayname=Project Users
listdelimiter=<p>
listmethod=nested(projectUsers).lists
textmode=true
type=iterate
valueexpression=IF({user}.{roleID}!="aecf4d5693a8db8fe0539260720a5552",{user}.{name})
valueformat=HTML

Community Advisor

If you have Fusion, here is an option.

You could create a custom field on the project, and store the list of users that are on the project team there, then surface this field on the report.

If the way the project team is defined is by people assigned to tasks on the project, then in Fusion...

1. Pull in all of the assignments on the project, including the field assignedTo:name

2. Map the results from that pull to create an array of the names

3. Deduplicate the array

4. Join the array, with the delimiter being a new line

5. Update the new field on the project with your list of names