Expand my Community achievements bar.

Gauge and bubble charts?

Level 10
from a Workfront perspective, does anyone really understand when to use gauge and bubble charts, and what elements I need to have in play before they work well? I've been trying to read up on how they are used outside Workfront (like in Excel) but think it might just be too much info and (or) I would like to have more of a portfolios/programs/projects/tasks explanation. :) For example, I was thinking tonight that maybe a gauge would be a fun chart to put in a dashboard of a portfolio's program tab. It could show how many projects were complete (out of all the projects in a program). Some of our programs signify a launch so those would have a finite number of projects to each program. Then I started reading on what they actually are and do (for example: http://www.performance-ideas.com/2011/07/25/cognos-gauge-chart/ or https://www.edrawsoft.com/basic-gaugeschart-knowledge.php ). Now I'm a bit disillusioned, but still trying to figure out if there's a good use for them from a Workfront standpoint. Would love to hear from people who have produced them for users who find them useful (and find out what reports work best in that sort of format).
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

9 Replies

Level 10
Hi Skye, I have created some good dashboards using guages for CSI reporting. We setup some custom forms for CSI surveys in our projects, and I have used guages to show averaged values against KPIs across projects. I have tried bubble charts a few times.....it is hard to find situations where they provide data that is actually readable, and even when you do, a lot of people just can't understand them anyways! It's a bit of a running joke any time I suggest a bubble chart now.... Cheers

Level 5
Hi David, any chance you could share a screenshot of one of your gauge reports? tks Karen

Level 10
Hi Karen - sure. Please see attached. I've redacted the names but it should give you an idea. All the data driving these graphs comes from survey responses entered on custom forms attached to Requests on each project.

Level 10
Hi Skye, My Best Bubble chart organizes my universe of issues, like this: - time is on the x axis, from -180 days (6 months late) on the left, to zero (now) in the middle, ton90 days (way out in the future) on the right - importance is on the y-axis, from 1000 (most important) at the top, to zero (indifferent) in the middle, to -1000 (ought to "retire" rather than "do") at the bottom - each bubble is an open issue, with the diameter being the effort in hours, and the color being the priority The chart's behavior is what makes this my favorite. Issues due >90 days out (to the far right) get a score of zero importance, "now is not the time", effectvely creating an initial vanishing point at zero on the 90 days out horizon. As the due date moves closer (left) to today (middle), each issue "floats higher" depending on priority, until at today, a critical = 500, high = 400, normal = 300, and low = 200. Then as issues age further, they continue to drift left, with criticals, highs, and normals floating ever higher, but lows sinking into the backlog basement. At any point in time, the strategy is clear: tackle top left (late, high priority) issues first, working your way right and down until you catch up (due today), then move even further right and down (getting ahead), and occassionally cleaning up the bottom right (late, low priority) backlog. By clicking the legend, I can alao toggle each prioriy series on or off, and for even more control, atrached it to our UberFilter which let me filter an entire dashboard with 10 reports (of the different quadrants of the bubble chart) with any Issue Filter I could dream up all at once. I'd be happy to post a screenshot if anyone is interested. Regards, Doug

Level 10
oh my gosh, thanks Doug. Your explanation actually gives me a great idea for a report. I'm going to run away and try it now :)

Level 5
Of course I want a screen shot!!! I sent you some emails yesterday- did you get them? our email system was down? tks Karen

Level 10
That's awesome, Skye; I'm glad that my anecdote inspired a thought. Here's the one that inspired me to put Bubble Charts in the Useful Charts column (and someday, I'll mirror by animating them in Workfront, too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo Karen, your wish is my command: here is a screen shot from our Workfront-based "ESP for Helpdesks" PowerPoint presentation to go with my description above (now that I'm on my laptop again). Regards, Doug P.S. no emails yesterday, Karen; I sent you a test one back this morning

Level 5
Thanks Doug! I have a silly question- what does ESP stand for? That youtube video was AMAZING!!!! what a fantastic way to get one's point across and provide insight! tks Karen ________________________________

Level 10
Thanks Karen: I agree! So engaging! ESP = Workfront + AtAppStore and stands for Enterprise Success Platform. AtAppStore owns ESP, and uses it to launch Workfront-based industry verticals. Our first was ESP for Oil & gas (www.espsuite.ca), then ESP for Helpdesks, then most recently, ESP for Crews Control. We have a couple more in development, and long term, are interested in partnering with subject matter experts in other industries who would like to levarage our approach, technology, and success. Regards, Doug