Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

First Fusion Update Event with Jira

Level 4
Hi All, We recently purchased Fusion and I've been able to do the following so far: Connected Workfront with Jira Created a FLO to push a task to Jira from Workfront with basic information We have time scheduled with our Workfront rep to do some initial training and setup, but I'm working ahead and want to get moving, so my question is how to create an Update event. My biggest question is how to set up the function that "ties" Workfront tasks to Jira issues. Cheers, Greg Troester CHG Healthcare
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 4
Update: I've discovered what my issue was - I was attempting to create an Update Event using the webhook method, which I'm not familiar with. Using the polling method I was able to connect a task and issue together (using a custom field for the Jira Issue ID on the Workfront side and adding a custom field for the Workfront ID on the Jira side). Now I'm running into a 400 error: bad request, missing category: { "message": ": category cannot be null", "statusCode": 400, "_error": true, "method": "ivXjQ4RQ2", "flo": 10021, "execution": "72d63635-b0a5-4589-90ec-792de2c5e551", "code": 400 } Any ideas? I'm guessing that I need to add an additional field of data to the FLO to tell Workfront what the category is, but I'm not sure, yet. Greg Troester CHG Healthcare

Level 1
Hey Greg, Category is Workfront API for a custom form. You have to associate the form with the custom Jira ID field to the task, not just update the field. Hope that helps. Josh Porter Zee Jay Digital jporter@zeejaydigital.com Josh Porter

Level 4
Josh – thanks for the reply! I eventually found the same after posting my question, just haven't gotten back to the forum since. That's exactly what I found by running some reports in Workfront to find that object – I did have the fields associated with a form, so once I plugged in the 26-character identifier, things were jammin'! Are you using Fusion right now? I'm to the point where I'm adding in some complexity to my update FLO and wonder if you've found any key functions to be useful in data mapping – especially around seeing if it's possible for someone on the Jira side of things to associate their issues with specific Workfront projects without having to hard-code things in. Any thoughts there? Cheers

Level 4

@Josh Porter - one other question for you: have you been able to tie two objects together upon creation? I've been able to do so when tasks are sent from Workfront to Jira by adding an Update Task card after the Create Issue card. However, when I try this from Jira to Workfront, I'm finding that I'm very limited in this regard. (Screenshots attached). Greg Troester CHG Healthcare0690z000007ZhadAAC.jpg

Level 5

--Have you looked into Jira's native remote link syntax? "https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/jira-rest-api-for-remote-issue-links/">https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/jira-rest-api-for-remote-issue-links/ This may give you better results then a custom field link MELINDA LAYTEN Technical Product Owner - API and Integration "https://www.workfront.com/" style="color:rgb(0,161,208)"

Level 4
@Melinda Layten , I wish I was skilled in the ways of the API, but it's basically Greek to me! Thanks for the suggestion, though. Ultimately, I found that you can reference custom fields in a Jira card update upon a creation event (another screenshot attached). You just click on the "Click or drop here to create" text and you can type in the name of the field you want to update/reference. Then you drop the value in and you're good to go! Also, to solve the problem with issue/task duplication, I created a custom field to indicate if a task/issue was generated by Fusion (same screenshot). The issue I had was that in the tenths of seconds it takes to update a task/issue during a FLO is too long, apparently! So when Jira would send a task to Workfront, Workfront would react and send a new issue back to Jira! I didn't see it the other way around because Jira doesn't instantly react (using the 5-minute polling method, there). The solve was to create a "Fusion_Created?" field that is automatically filled in as "Yes" upon issue/task creation as a result of a FLO. This way, it's very apparent where the task/issue originiated from and the duplication bug is resolved. Greg Troester CHG Healthcare