Expand my Community achievements bar.

Export Custom Form

Level 1
Can a Custom Form be exported to a PDF? Tracy Sanders Humana - Care Plus Health Plans
17 Replies

Level 7
Hi Tracy, You can create a category report (category = custom form), parameter report (custom field) and then export it to excel, pdf, or csv. Also, you could use a kickstart to export it to an excel sheet and then convert that to a pdf. Just a few thoughts. Thanks, Dustin Martin Tier 2 Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Employee
Wow - this is great - I spent about 2 hours the other day making an Excel spreadsheet of one of our largest custom forms. Glad to know that this exists so I don't have to go through that again! Thank you! Sarah Nau Dominium Inc.

Level 1
Hi Dustin. How exactly would I go about doing this? Im having some issues. Would I create two separate reports? Mike Miranda Douglas Elliman Real Estate

Level 7
Hey Mike, You'd go to Reporting -> New Report -> Category Here's a basic example from my own environment: The category report will give you a name of just the custom forms (may or may not be useful.) The parameter report is likely much more important for you, and looks like this: I hope this info helps! Thanks, Dustin Martin Tier 2 Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
Dustin, What if I want "all" fields on my custom form exported? Would I then have to manually select every field? Thanks, Benetta Perry APS

Level 10
Hi Benetta, Yes, to create a view so that you can then export "all" fields on your custom form exported to Excel, you have to manually select every field. Or... You could also try our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/generate-excel-updater-template/">Excel Updater Generator solution which -- in addition to creating a color-coded Excel file showing one column per field -- also provides a bonus text file that you can then copy and paste into the text mode of column one to create that very same new view instantly. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
I would like to add one more step to this process. I followed the directions to create a parameter report but what I need to see is what logic (if any) a field has. Is there a way to create a column in the report that tells me if skip or display logic is being used and what the details of it are? Thanks! Seanna Hernandez Equifax Inc. - Workforce Solutions

Level 7
Hey Seanna, Display logic and calculations are specific to the custom form that they're on, so you won't be able to report on that data in Workfront. However, you might have luck with a 3rd party such as the AtApp Store ( @Doug Den Hoed ) and may be able to get something that isn't limited by Workfront's database constraints. Thanks! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 2
Can you export a completed custom form to PDF? Once a project is opened and a custom form attached and filled out, our PM's like to print out the information to bring to client meetings. Right now they are filling out a project brief as well as Workfront which is creating more work. Thanks Rebecca Rebecca Johnson Life Time Fitness, Inc.

Level 7
Hi Rebecca, The short answer is no, the long answer is yes. I say no, because you can create a category report to show custom forms, but not fields. You can create a parameter report to show custom fields, but not the values of the fields. However, I say yes because you can create an issue, task, or project report, and add all the fields from the custom form as columns on the report, group by project if you want to see the data by project, and then export the report when it's finished. To make it easier for your PMs, you can remove the project filter (if you create one) and add the report to the dashboard, then add the dashboard as a custom menu link in the project submenu. I hope this helps! Thanks, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 1
Really interesting thread! I was talking to my CSM about exactly the same thing just this week. Great to see the workaround but would be even better if you could just export like you can with most other areas of WF! Is it on the roadmap at all?

Level 9
Currently "Under Consideration" in the idea exchange: "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115005641187-Ability-to-Export-Custom-Forms" https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115005641187-Ability-to-Export-Custom-Forms Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group

Level 2
Dustin, I am trying to create this report but having difficulty. I chose category for report type but I don't see "field" as a column choice. What am I missing? Madeleine Madeleine Bronstone LeapPoint

Level 7
Hi Madeleine, A category report will let you see all the custom forms in your environment. Because each form can have different fields, you can't directly call to the fields. Now, you could do a collection in the view to show all the fields, but that's getting a bit above what I can relay here on the community. I'd recommend reading up on how to use Collections in a report: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000586214-Referencing-Collections-in-a-Report Best of luck! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
It seems that you can only work with Collections with an API? Jill Ackerman

Level 9
I've got pretty limited experience in this, but its my understanding that all you're really doing is using the "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/220633507" API Explorer to find the item you're trying to reference in your report. Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group

Level 7

Hey Jill, Not quite. This guide will go over a bit more on how to use collections: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000586214-Referencing-Collections-in-a-Report

The API explorer is used to understand what fields are available, what objects you can reference from that object, and what 1:n objects you can reference. 1:n = 1 to many relationship in a database. -- We use Oracle as our DB. So quick example: Look at Project in the API explorer. On the Fields tab, you'll see that you can reference ID, Name, etc. On the References tab, you'll see that you can reference Category, Approval Process, Scorecard, Group, Owner, etc. On the Collections tab, you'll see that you can reference Baselines, Documents, Expenses, hours, Tasks, Updates, etc. So, if I were to create a project report, I can see that I can reference the name in a column based on the Fields tab, the Approval Process based on the References tab, and a list of all the tasks, based on the Collections tab. Now, you might find out that sometimes something won't be listed, but it's still possible to reference. Such as a list of issues on a project report, in a collection column. Here's what it looks like for the text mode for the column:

displayname=Issues

listdelimiter= < p >

listmethod=nested(issues).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate

valuefield=name

valueformat=HTML</pre>

And when you run the report, you can see a list of issues (see the image.png I uploaded.) I hope this helps steer you in the right direction! Thanks, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront0690z000007Zhl7AAC.png