Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Enter project update from inside program view?

Level 4
Is it possible to add a project update while in program view? When we're reviewing the status of multiple projects in a given program, we'd love to be able to add update notes right from that view as we move from project to project. I've added "Status Update" as a column in the program view. However, that field is not editable in the program view as it is simply pulling the last project update from inside the project. Chris Watson
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Level 7
Hello Chris, The short answer is no. The longer answer is also no, but here's why: the update stream is its own object type, and cannot be inline edited. We've considered redesigning this for a few years, and I'm pretty sure there are ideas on the Idea Exchange for this. The alternative that I have had a couple customers use is to create a custom form with a paragraph field, track the changes in the update stream, and then add that. Note however, that you can only inline edit fields for the object type you're on. So, portfolio custom data at the portfolio level, project custom data at the project level, but not project custom data at the program level. I hope this helps! Thanks, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
Yes I agree Dustin. We are using the same technique at the moment. We added the required filed in custom form and managing things by adding as a column in the portfolio area. And sure this can be used here too….. With regards, Kundan. Kundan Kumar KGON - (Kverneland Group Operations Norway AS)

Level 4
Hi Dustin, Thanks for the follow up. It would be great if there was some way that this might be possible in the future, making the program view even more valuable when reviewing all active projects with a team and permitting the updates to be added at that point. Any chance you can send me a sample of the setup you mentioned? I'm not quite clear on how this will work. Are you referring to a custom form at the program level into which we enter changes? It sounds like those notes will then need to be added manually to the relevant projects, correct? Thanks, Chris Chris Watson

Level 4
Hi Kundan, Thanks for the reply. Any chance you could send me a screen grab or sample of how you've got yours set up? Thanks, Chris Chris Watson

Level 7
Hi Chris, I'd love to see it implemented in the future, and I'm pretty sure there's already an idea on the Idea Exchange for it. You're right though, it's just a paragraph field on their main project level custom form. The problem you'll run into is you can only inline edit data for objects it's on. Meaning if you're looking at a project list , you can only inline edit project data. Which for this case is fine. Anyhow, you'll have a custom form + paragraph field, and on that paragraph field, mark the box "Show changes in update feeds" as seen here: https://share.getcloudapp.com/wbumyO4D I have customers mark that box so that it shows up in the project's update stream, not just on the custom form. Then your users can inline edit that field. :) Good luck! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
Hi Chris, You are right. @Chris Watson Once you create these kind of field. Then pull them in the report or in the viewing area. Regards Kundan Kundan Kumar KGON - (Kverneland Group Operations Norway AS)

Level 1
Hi Dustin Would you mind giving some more detail instructions. Where is the form placed on the program or the project? How does it know which project to update? Is this at task level in program or project? Shawn Dennard

Level 7
Hi Shawn, You can only inline edit an object that corresponds to the list type you're on. So what this means is that when you're at a program or portfolio level, and you're looking at a list of Projects , you'll be able to inline edit project fields. That was a roundabout way of saying that you would add the form + fields to the project, then go to the object above you want to view the list of projects from, and edit the view for the list of projects. Hope that helps! Thanks, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront