Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Enforcing Predecessors - not being able to "Work on the task"

Level 2
Hi all, I used to be able to set enforced predecessors for tasks where assignees where not able to even "work on" the task. I've been looking on the training and the only thing available seems to be that a task with an enforced predecessor can still be worked on, but the status cannot change from "new" to "in progress" or "completed" Did I dream it? I have a screenshot tough... Thanks in advance for your help! Anais Anais Hamelin Workday
3 Replies

Level 10
I can't speak to the dream sequence �� , but that is how I've always seen it in our environment. They just can't change the Status. And I just verified, they still get a Work On It button, but keep in mind it disappears after they click it, so your screen shot could be after the fact. But obviously I don't know that for sure. We've been on Workfront since 2014. So I can only speak to the timeframe between then and now and in that time I don't recall that feature really changing at all. But stranger things have happened.

Level 2
Hi Vic, thanks so much for getting back to me, you are correct, the "work on it" button disappeared and I misinterpreted. It would still be nice to get the option of not being able to work on a task with enforced predecessors: I will reach out to Workfront! Thanks! Anais Anais Hamelin Workday

Level 10
Hi Anais, I've got a $1,000 they say it's "by design" �� In this case I might even agree. If you think about it, the assignee can't change the Status so that kind of ties their hands from working on it prematurely or accidentally. But I can see a use for allowing them to hit the "Work On It" button as that only moves the Task from their Work Requests to Working On tab. So they're really just accepting the task and confirming they know it's their task (even though they know it's a future task). That's how it was described to me by my WF consultant back in the day. The assignee is just "accepting" the task as theirs. It doesn't mean they're truly working on it this minute (the Status would trigger that event). You also want them to be able to enter notes and comments on the task as they may have gathered some information that will be pertinent when it is time to work on their task. Just something to think about. Best of luck.