Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Edit access to one custom form in project details

Level 5

For a specific worker role, I'm trying to give edit (contribute?) access to a single custom form within the project details. Is there a way to do this? So far it seems like I can either give that role edit access to all of the custom forms in the project details or none of the custom forms.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Yea, I think in general, when you give contribute access to a project, they can edit all forms. I don't know if you can limit it on a per form basis or not. I've never tried to do it this way because I limit access to edit via form sections and not an entire form.

The way I would do it is to create a section on the standard project form that only certain roles, teams, etc. can edit but everyone can read it. I don't know your overall goal with custom data on a project but this approach has served me well for years. I only have one project form; with sections that are triggered by display rules and limited permissions to edit and/or view. The fewer forms, the better.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 10

If I'm understanding your question, you can share forms (categories) just like anything else. 

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 9.29.07 am.jpg

Also, you can grant and limit access to sections of forms.

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 9.29.55 am.jpg

Level 5

Thanks @RandyRoberts , I do have manage access to the form turned on within the form sharing settings, however it seems that the Worker Access may be overwriting the form sharing access?Form Sharing Settings.png

Level 10

That would be correct. Access levels supersede all other permissions. Usually, the most restrictive permissions trump everything else, this is true in most systems like Active Directory and Unix as well.

Level 5

So then is it not possible for a Worker to edit a custom form? In my Access Level settings for Worker, I don't see any settings for Custom Forms. And if the Access Level settings always supersede the other permissions, it seems like I can't enable this option for a Worker.

Access Settings.png

Level 10

I believe giving them contribute access to the project will allow project based form editing. Also you can give access to contribute to a project via the task settings; When a user is assigned to a task, give them manage access to the task and contribute access to the project.

I set mine up years ago and the small details are a bit foggy.

Level 5

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

I've tried giving the specific role contribute access to the project. Within the Advanced contribute settings I only turn on "Edit Custom Form", "Log Hours", and "Share". This DOES give the role the ability to edit the custom form, however it appears they can edit ALL custom forms on the project, and not just the single form that I'd like to make available to them.

Is it perhaps not that I need to enable access on the one custom form, but disable access on all the other forms?

Correct answer by
Level 10

Yea, I think in general, when you give contribute access to a project, they can edit all forms. I don't know if you can limit it on a per form basis or not. I've never tried to do it this way because I limit access to edit via form sections and not an entire form.

The way I would do it is to create a section on the standard project form that only certain roles, teams, etc. can edit but everyone can read it. I don't know your overall goal with custom data on a project but this approach has served me well for years. I only have one project form; with sections that are triggered by display rules and limited permissions to edit and/or view. The fewer forms, the better.