Expand my Community achievements bar.

Duration and Schedules: Question

Level 3

Hi all:

Hopefully a simple one, but I wanted to vet it with the community experts.

We are starting to dabble in planned hours for teams in Workfront, which I support. As part of this, we are also looking at the work schedules, which default to 8 hours. We actually do a 7-hour workday, so the ask was to make the schedule 7 hours so the planned hours are more aligned with our actual experience. Makes sense to do so, but I'm trying to see if there's a ripple effect I can't predict.

My asks is if moving the calendar from an 8-hour work day to a 7-hour one...

• For a task with a duration of say 1.5 days, Is Workfront smart enough to say "this equates to halfway through the following workday" regardless of what said workday is? 
  • Or put another way, would a project schedule with a 8.5 day project planned duration still dynamically calculate 8.5 days out from actual project start date?

My guess is the answer is "yes" but I wanted to validate with those that have changed their schedules and seen the impact.

Thanks,

Ryan

3 Replies

Community Advisor

I recommend also checking settings in: Setup>> Project Preferences >> projects >> Timelines. 
There are few things that may impact how workfront will calculate the timeline, but in general, setting up the right schedule on the project sounds like good approach.

Community Advisor

Agree with Rafal - When I took over the instance I have now, the schedule and the timeline didn't match and durations were all out of wack on projects and templates.

How projects are being calculated - By Duration or Planned Hours - could also impact the ripple affect of this.

Do you have access to Sandbox or preview? I would run some tests there and compare durations and planned hours with the changes before going live in Production with the change.