Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Does anyone know if there is a way to show Planned Vs. Actual hours in a report based on the Job Role in a report?

Level 2

We are trying to create a report that shows the planned hours vs actual hours of job roles to help with resource planning for projects next year. Any recommendations?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi Derek - Do you have one person/role assigned to your tasks? Or do you tend to have multiple?

If you have one, then you can use a task report with planned hours vs actual hours grouped by Role.

If not... things get tricky. Unfortunately, when you break things down to the assignment level, the information is separated between the Assignment Object Type for planned hours and the Hours Object Type for actual hours.

I used to have two reports side by side on a dashboard that showed the two sets of information (I used to do it by portfolio and then by role) so it wasn't too difficult, but was not ideal. And then eventually we moved everything into a SQL server.

I have not spent time yet with the new Reporting Canvas tool, maybe someone on here who has can let us know if there is a way to get the information you seek in a single report/chart/view

Level 2

Thank you Anthony!

We were able to play around with it and get it sorted out after a quick chat with customer support. we ended up going with a Task report with the following fields: Project name, Task Name, Assignments, Duration, Planned hours, Actual Hours, Start on, Due on, and % Complete.

We then grouped it by Job Role Name and set some filters, basically set the entry date on the tasks for this year, the task role Id's that we wanted to see and the portfolio IDs that we wanted to pull from.

then we created a column chart with the Planned hours on Left axis summarized by sum, Bottom axis was job role, and the combination chart second value was the actual hours summarized by sum and a column chart type as well.

I hope this helps! we use this report to help with resource planning for our projects for the coming year.

Level 2

@Derek Saltzgaber‚

Hi Derek, I have been trying for some time to get a similar report. Would you be willing to share your layout? Thanks, Cathie

Level 2

Good morning Cathie,

This is how we set up the report for our organization... We ended up going with a Task report with the following fields: Project name, Task Name, Assignments, Duration, Planned hours, Actual Hours, Start on, Due on, and % Complete.

We then grouped it by Job Role Name and set some filters, basically set the entry date on the tasks for this year, the task role Id's that we wanted to see and the portfolio IDs that we wanted to pull from.

then we created a column chart with the Planned hours on Left axis summarized by sum, Bottom axis was job role, and the combination chart second value was the actual hours summarized by sum and a column chart type as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if that doesn't make sense!

-Derek