Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Update previous calculations always?

Level 2
I have a simple calculation (below) to display a project or request end date. The issue is whenever the date is changed the calculated field is not recalculating. It stays the value that it was unless I go update the form or click "Update previous calculations" on the form. Is there a way to force a calculated field to always recalculate? IF(ISBLANK(Resolve Project ID), Planned Completion Date, Resolve Project.Planned Completion Date) Donald Lay Charles Schwab
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 1

Not sure if this works but there's a setting in the calculated field settings area (checkbox) that says Update Previous Calculations (in the background). I was trying to figure out what that was for when I came across this so I am not certain but try that?

Community Advisor

I would first try making your calculation even simpler. Maybe just make a test field and put in this calculation -- Resolve Project.Planned Completion Date, and see if that will work? [Whoops nevermind, just tried and that doesn't work]

Other than that, I know certain fields just won't recalculate (unless you resave the form that is on the object). So you might just be SOL.

Level 10

Just to chime in here... remember that a calculation only updates when the object the field is on is updated.

This means, just because the Resolve Project has a new Planned Completion Date due to a change, the issue and its calculation don't update right at that moment.

Now, once the issue is edited, it will then go through the calculation and update so the Resolve Project's Planned Completion Date is updated. Now you can manually edit the issue OR... you can 1) go to the three dots and click Recalculate Custom Expression, or 2) wait overnight if the project's status equates to Current (and update setting is Automatic and On Change)

This is why I like to do a bulk edit and recalculate custom expressions on big executive reports before any big meetings. (NOTE: This also is an issue when working with cross project predecessors. Bulk editing and selecting recalculate timeline is very important)

Hope that makes sense.

Hi Donald,

Further to Anthony's point, I invite you to consider our Recalc Parameters solution to ensure your custom data calculations are updated on a suitable scheduled cadence, increasing your confidence….and their value.

Regards,

Doug