Expand my Community achievements bar.

Does anybody else use Workfront as your IT Service/Help Desk ticketing system?

Level 1
Does anybody else use Workfront as your IT Service/Help Desk ticketing system?
28 Replies

Level 8
We don't yet but may go in this direction in the future. I'd love to hear what people have to say on the topic and the pros and cons and how they have their systems set up.

Level 8
Yes, we do. Let me know how I can help!

Level 2
I am, but not thrilled with the work flow. I'd like to learn how others are doing this. Ed

Level 10
I'm curious - what issues do you have with the native workflow functionality?

Level 2
I would like a system that is more intuitive for all users of an ITSM / Help Desk system. I'm having success introducing WF as an enterprise-wide project management tool, but struggling how to design a workflow with terms the Service Management and Help Desk staff an easily understand. As we know a lack of user adoption has doomed many IT initiatives. Since my company is only a year old with WF, I would love to see have others have successfully implemented ITSM and/or Help Desk with WF.

Level 8
Hi Ed, we have been using Workfront as a help desk system for 4+ years now. A demo would probably be easier than trying to show everything here. Would you be interested in that?

Level 1

Hi, we are looking to implement this at my company - if you have a demo that would be great!

Level 2
I would love too and am humbled you are willing to give of your time to share with us! emilner@pcci.edu Ed

Level 2
I would like to sit in as well if I can - josh.blackwood@adp.com< Thanks, Josh Blackwood 770.335.6299

Level 2
Adina, How would you like to move forward? Ed

Level 8
Hi Ed and Josh, I am free this Wednesday after 10 am pacific to give a demo. What time works best for your schedule?

Level 2
On Wednesday, I'm good these these pacific times: 11 - 1 and after 2 I'm in central time zone Ed

Level 2
Let’s shoot for 11am pacific, thanks Adina Thanks, Josh Blackwood 770.335.6299

Level 8
11 sounds good. Email me at adpierce@cisco.com and I'll send out the WebEx invite.

Level 10
Since we are a global instance, we use it so that users can send us admins issues. We used Queue Topics and Topic Groups to break out the different custom forms we'd like as well as routing rules (for general bugs, we have a Tier 1 support team at the local agencies but for things like reports or enhancement requests, they go straight to us.) Since the admins are in a separate group, we did create custom systems for us. We changed Awaiting Feedback to Awaiting Requester's Feedback. It is a little more explanatory but what I love is that when someone replies, the status automatically changes to In Progress so my team doesn't need to go into all the tickets to see if someone wrote back. We also created a custom statuses "Awaiting Workfront's Feedback" which equals On Hold. Again, so that people have a better sense of what is going on when looking at the dashboard(s). We tried an approval workflow for when the status was changed to Closed where the requester would approve that it was actually taken care of, but people weren't doing it and it was causing issue.

Level 2
Adina, Does your company embrace any IT management framework such as ITIL or DevOps? -Ed ext 2528

Level 4
Ed, I was actually just about to ask whether any of the people who use it as a Service Desk platform heavily adhere to the ITIL framework. I was going to ask as I cannot imagine being able to use WF to do so. As a PM, I have been leading a project for our firm to move to ServiceNow for IT Service Management for the past 2 years (we moved Triage, Incident, Major Incident, Problem, Knowledge, Request, CMDB, Change, Request, and Asset Management over last year, year 2 is about enhancements and additional processes). While all of the basic abilities are certainly present in WF (taking in incidents and requests and assigning them), ITIL is so much more than just ticket management. I would love to hear how some people have accomplished alignment if they have. On the DevOps side, obviously WF can be used from a software defect management standpoint, but so much of DevOps relies on theory of automation and that isn't something I see WF doing. You could argue that the workflows you can create somewhat match that, but true DevOps would say you wouldn't have a server request workflow, a developer would log into a store front (like vRealize or Puppet) and build the server themselves, no approvals/workflows required (assuming it is a server that falls within certain tolerances). WF can do a lot to bring teams together and since DevOps does rely on bringing resources from various traditional teams (development and network operations) together, it can certainly be something to help facilitate the practices of DevOps. But, like most things, you can't say, "we have WF, now we can be a DevOps shop."

Level 8
Ed - we do not use either one of those.

Level 1
I know this thread is a little old now, but it is the only one I could find related to using WF as a Help Desk ticketing system. Is anyone currently using WF not only as a ticketing system, but also for the following Help Desk/Service Desk functions? Ticketing, change management, inventory/asset management, SLAs, knowledge base for users, etc. I started with a company that uses WF across the board including using it as the Help Desk ticketing system. Its basic functionality is fine, but I am wondering if it is able to be used for greater functions than just ticketing. I worry that we will not be able to incorporate the items above into a PM product. If anyone is using WF as a help desk suite incorporating the items above, I would really appreciate your input. Thank you. Greg Greg Sargent IT Help Desk Manager Diversified Communications, Inc.

Level 10
Hi Greg, Over the years, we've bent Workfront in several of the Advanced Helpdesk directions you've mentioned, for a number of different customers. At one point, with an eye towards creating a deployable Helpdesk solution, we had even spun up a demo deck in PowerPoint illustrating what is possible. Around that time, however, Workfront themselves switched to a dedicated Helpdesk system (and has now gone through a couple, I believe), so we parked our initiative until (perhaps) the idea again becomes fashionable someday. As I recall, the Knowledge Base portion was the weakest link, but as Workfront's continues to improve, there might now be options to shore up that aspect. For the other items you mentioned, though, I'd encourage you to stick with it and experiment, as we did find ways of making it work (batteries not included, some assembly required). Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads