Expand my Community achievements bar.

Document Report to Identify Number of Files in a Specific Folder

Level 2

Hi everyone! The problem I am trying to solve is develop a report (I started with a document report) to identify the number of files in a specific folder in our Project Folders (the folder we are targeting is called "Final Files"). We are attempting this because we want to see the number of final files that were deployed per project without creating a field in the project details where the project owner would manually select the number of final files deployed. My issue is the Document report has a Final Folder column but it is generating null for all results (which is odd because they all have files in that folder). Any idea how I could solve this request? Thank you!

8 Replies

Level 6

I have just done something very similar in Fusion. I get all documents on a Project and then I get the collections of Folders. I then filter to the folder I want to count documents in and then I get all documents meeting a certain criteria. The Number of Bundles output is then the number I need. I store this on the Project.

Unfortunately you cannot do a Watch Event and filter documents by the folder so you have to use the Watch Record instead.

Community Advisor

If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to just reference it using a collections report like here:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/workfront/using/reporting/reports/text-mode/reference-col...

i.e. if I'm reading your question right, you would just create a filter for documents in final folders, and then group it by project name to find a count per project. Following instructions from the link above, the filter would probably look something like:

folders:name=final
folders:name_Mod=cicontains

Level 2

Thank you for the filter suggestion! I implemented it and my report finally brought in the results from the Final Folder. However, for projects that have more than 1 document in that folder the report was only showing the file that was most recently uploaded to the final folder. Any way to bypass that so i could bring in the correct count regardless of entry date?

Community Advisor

is it possible that there’s something else in your report filter affecting your results? I’m seeing two files in my final folder so the base filter works. 

Level 2

Apologies for the late response! The filter I have has mostly project level filters (project actual completion date is this year, Project name does not contain 'test', project status is either complete or archived). I noticed the projects that have a mix of Word and PDF files in the final folder will only show the Word files in the results of this report. Strange!

Community Advisor

I still would remove your other filters and see if that's still the case (PDFs are not being shown).

Level 2

Got it to work! the Owner filter I used was actually the owner of the document, not the project. One last question if you don't mind. I tried adding in the following text mode to filter to the Project level owner of the project itself, but i keep getting an error message. Any advice on how this could be treated in text mode? I thought by adding "project:" in front of the below would have given me the project level owner but i was wrong.thanks!

project:owner:homeTeamID=62a797f700141a8af48689d780cfffee
project:owner:homeTeamID_Mod=in

Community Advisor

it's because there are too many hops.

You can read up on too many hops here:

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/GlobalSearch#q=too%20many%20hop...

The usual workaround for too many hops is the exists filter, which you can read up on here:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/workfront/using/reporting/reports/text-mode/create-comple...

a sample filter might look something like this (I'm not sure, because I didn't test it out, but they generally follow this type of format):

EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=USER

EXISTS:a:ID=FIELD:project:ownerID

EXISTS:a:homeTeamID=62a797f700141a8af48689d780cfffee