Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you know how information in the Parent Task line can cascade to the child tasks without being retyped:

Level 2

Our projects are set up with a parent task and child tasks. The parent task identifies the asset and the phase of the job for example, Design - 2 social cards (additional detials). Child tasks are then named, 1) "first pass" and 2) "approval" historically we do not add a lot of task details to the task lines. Problem is when we create calendar reports and on the designer's homepage details about the task are limited. I would like parent task information to cascade down to the task lines. I'm trying to avoid rekeying all the time. Thoughts? Does anyone know if this is possible?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 10

Do you mean the task names themselves, or custom form information, or...?

Level 2

‚Hi, thanks for your response. I meant task names themselves - Anthony and Heather provided some good options for me to use.

Community Advisor

Hi Peggy,

A few thoughts on this...

Do you use project templates so you don't have to manually set up those tasks every time? If you have a project that is already set up with the tasks you want, you can create a template from that with just a click or two.

For Calendars you can create custom labels for tasks. For example, we use a calendar for email launches - the task name is just "Launch" on every project, but we need to know which project that launch is for so we have a custom label that gives us the project name. In the custom label field we have: {project:name}. I'm sure you could do something similar with parent name plus task name

For your designer's homepage, are you using or have you checked out the New Experience? When you select a task in the work list on the left, you can customize what shows on the right through the Layout Templates in the New Experience, you can add 16 pieces of additional data - Parent task name over there might work for you.

Level 2

‚Heather thank you. I didn't realize custom field was so robust in the calendar. I will certainly start using it more.

We are not on the New Experience yet, I'm looking forward to migrating over. I will spend a lot of time customizing the user's template layouts.

Level 10

Hi - for both home and calendars, you can bring in Parent Task info.

For Home, go to the layout template and the Home area and for custom fields, you can see "Parent" and then use it's data. (We use Parent Name all the time)

For Calendars, when you do a custom label, just type {parent and then you will see a drop down with Parent information, and again, can pick the field like in Home.

0690z000008YYWFAA4.png

Level 2

‚Thank you Anthony -- the information you provided certainly helps. I didn't realize that the custom field contained so many possibilities.