Expand my Community achievements bar.

Display top 20 requestors

Level 6

Is it possible to display in a request report the top 20 requestors?

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi Stephen,

There's no "TOP" available as such (as there is in SQL), but what you could try instead (untested) is to create a report that sorts by the total number of requests, and on the report settings, limit the report to show (only) the first 20 rows...hmm...but until All rows are retrieved, the total will likely be off, as will the sort...so on second thought, I think I'll change my answer to No.

Regards,

Doug

Thanks Doug for the quick response. What about grouping request submissions, for example 1 - 50, 51 - 100, 101 - 150 and so on?

Level 10

Alas, that's tough too, Stephen,

If you would be willing to store (and keep up to date) the number of requests per person (either manually, or via our Excel Updater or UberCalc solutions, or Fusion if you have it), and then use a custom calculation to determine into which range each person's total falls (e.g. 001-050, 051-100, 101-150, 150+, for sorting purposes), you could then group by the latter and perhaps even filter to only users >= 20th highest person, changing that over time).

Given what's available in classic reporting, I'd suggest a bar chart instead, showing the total by person (filtered whatever timeframe you need), ordered by highest to lowest (think uranium half life chart...), and possibly with a prompt so people can easily, arbitrarily "cut off" those below a certain number of requests, effectively zooming to the Top 20ish.

Looking ahead to new reporting experience, though, I'm also tagging @Matt Thomas‚ (NRE Vison Keeper), whom I'm sure will be delighted to hear that the mock up he showed me this morning around such ranges is indeed relevant in the real world.

Regards,

Doug

Thanks for tagging me in the thread @Doug Den Hoed‚ !

@Stephen Jonas‚, as Doug mentioned I would love to see the real world use case that you are trying to solve and the mock up to make sure it is something we can solve for as we are working on the new Reporting experience currently.‚ Do you mind finding some time on my calendar to chat further about your use case and new Reporting? https://calendly.com/matt-thomas-wf/45min

Thanks,

Matt

Level 6

I currently have a report that displays all request year over year. In the report we have many department that may not submit a request or submit 1-5 request a year. I'd like to filter those out of the report but can't figure out how. Additionally for some reason it's not showing all of the submitted request.

@Doug Den Hoed‚

Level 10

Hi Stephen,

In SQL, filtering out based on an aggregate would be accomplished using a "HAVING" clause...but alas, no such construct exists within the current Workfront Reporting framework. Instead, the closest I can suggest is to manually filter out those departments that submit infrequently, so that the report will then effectively zoom in on the remaining departments, making comparison easier.

Like you, I am surprised that not all submitted requests are then being shown: typically, although report results in list mode are limited (e.g. 20, 100, 2000), reports in chart mode show everything, which is one reason I often default reports to the latter.

If you cannot see anything in your report filter that explains why a certain request is missing (assuming, too, that you have rights to view it), I'd suggest you raise a helpdesk ticket.

Regards,

Doug

Thanks Doug, you've always been helpful! What I end up doing was to manually go in and count the top 20 requestors and in the filter use them to filter the result. Yes, every quarter I'll need to go in and validate that they are still the top 20, but for submission the top 20 by far submitted the most projects month over month.

Thanks for your insights!