Expand my Community achievements bar.

Deactivate programs and portfolios

Level 2
We are doing 2018 planning. Our portfolios and programs will not necessarily carry over from 2017. I would actually like to start fresh. Is there a way to deactivate portfolios and programs and start fresh so the old and the new don't get co-mingled? Any suggestions? We are also very strict about this year's vs last years spend. So projects will be closed down at the end of 2017 and re-opened in progress as a 2018 project with its own budget and own spend. Any easy way to do that? Sharon Noll Matrix Medical Network Portfolio Manager
6 Replies

Level 8
Hi Sharon, We wish there was a way to archive/deactivate old portfolios and programs too! I've submitted this on the Idea Exchange so please go vote it up! It's currently at 36 votes so we're really close :). You can vote for it here: "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115004139993-Archive-Programs-Portfolios-Etc-">Archive Programs, Portfolios, Etc. As far as opening and closing 2017 jobs, we actually close out all 2017 jobs and open new for 2018. We use Programs to keep jobs tied together but we open brand new 2018 jobs so that things don't get messy as far as too many tasks, financials, hours, etc. We can then pull reports at the Program level to see the jobs financials, hours, etc together. Hope this help! Brooke Vaughan Rockfish Interactive Corporation

Level 2
Do you just want them to not be able to be chosen as the Portfolio for a new project? You could rename them (I would add Archive in the name) and then remove all sharing permissions to them - only Admins should be able to see them at that point. I would suggest playing in your Sandbox to check, but I think it would work... Heather Theriault MetLife

Level 2
I replied on Brooke's comment, but could you limit the sharing permissions on the Portfolio to pretty much no one? I would recommend playing with it in your Sandbox. Heather Theriault MetLife

Level 10
I usually set the Portfolio to "Inactive" and then people can't see it to choose it. But yeah, I would rather have Programs that we can deactive / archive / make inactive. And because we can't do this to our programs, we have ended up with Portfolios per year, and make them active or inactive per year as well. -skye

Level 3
Hi Skye, Quick question, how did you change the portfolio to "inactive"? Erika Garrett

Level 10
hey Erika, in the Portfolio details tab, in the overview, you should see a field called "Is Active". By the way, programs are now able to be deactivated in this same way ("is active" field in the program details tab) -skye