Expand my Community achievements bar.

Day of the Week Task Constraint

Level 2

In our Marketing and Store Environment groups, we need specific tasks always to complete on a specific day of the week.  We try to manage it through predecessors and durations, but it's not always perfect.  Is there a way to ensure that a task always ends on a Wed.?

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Tammy,

There isn't any specific day of week task constraint.  There is a fixed date constraint you could put for those tasks in your template but you'd still need to set the date of those tasks in your project plan to be on the day you need...only way I can think of to help. 

Level 2

I found the answer buried in some documentation!!!  The Lag variable would use W and then the corresponding number for the day of the week!

Day of Week (w)

The delay between two tasks is measured by indicating the days of the week for the week that contains the Planned Completion Date of the predecessor.

For this Lag Type, each day of the week is associated with a number:

• Sunday=1
  • Monday=2
  • Tuesday=3
  • Wednesday=4
  • Thursday=5
  • Friday=6
  • Saturday=7

If you want to indicate that the Planned Start Date of the successor should fall on a Tuesday of the current week, and the Tuesday is prior to the Planned Completion Date of the predecessor, you would code your successor with the following formula:

4fs-3w

Note: If the Tuesday passed for the week of the Planned Completion Date of the predecessor, then the Planned Start Date of the successor task is the first available working day of that week.

If you want to indicate that the lag should fall on a Saturday of the current week, and the Saturday is after the Planned Completion Date of the predecessor, you would code your successor with the following formula:

4fs+7w

If Saturday is a non-working day, the next available day after Saturday (to indicate positive lag) is selected as the Planned Start Date of the successor.

To indicate past or future weeks, you can add a number in front of the day number for the lag type.

For example, to indicate the Monday of 10 weeks ago, you can use this code to indicate the predecessor of your successor:

4fs-102w

10 indicates 10 weeks ago, and 2 is the number assigned to Monday.

Nice find, Tammy (and deepest doc dive I've seen in a while) -- thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Doug