Expand my Community achievements bar.

DAM/Dynamic Templates

Level 4
Hello, I am wondering if any fellow users of the DAM also use Dynamic Templates? We have a use case for a new client that needs both the DAM for storage of assets and the functionality that dynamic templates offers so they can add variable data to items such as business cards/pitchbooks etc. I am trying to find out if it's possible load a csv (or other type) of file which holds data into a dynamic template, so for example, they have a template for name badges and a list of names, they want to be able to load those names in and the system create a 'proof' for each one rather than having to manually create a new proof per name. Is this something anyone is familiar with and can advise on best practices? I'm finding it hard locating information on this via Help/Workfront website etc and would be grateful if the Community can help? Many thanks Vikki Gibbs WF System Admin RRD
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Level 2
Hi Vikki, We have been using dynamic templates for a few years now. There is no way of merging variable data via an Excel or csv file. Each page has to be setup individually - you can't even copy and paste pieces from one page to the next. However, InDesign does have the capability to do data merge - they would be better off using that. We have attempted to use dynamic templates for flyers, postcards, invitations, brochures, etc., and none have been successful. The templates are difficult and time consuming to setup, require extensive testing and training, and if they contain too many editable pieces, most end users get overwhelmed and just want a designer to do it for them. Our only successes have been email banner headers in which a single image is switched out and social media posts in which only a small amount of text is changed. Hope that helps. -Tina Tina Craig Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company