Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Daily Velocity for Individual Team Members

Level 2

Our Team manages daily work for each team member through the workload balancer. It is set to a 7hr daily capacity, but each team member has various meetings (both project and non-project related) each day which takes away from their 7hr work capacity. It changes daily and it is different for each team member. For example, someone may only have 4 hours of available work time in a day due to 3 hours of meetings. Currently, we ask them to list their daily velocity in another place (a Teams channel set up for velocity) and the Project Managers must consult their daily velocity notation when working on their daily workloads. I tried logging meeting time in the General/Overhead area of Timesheets, but that doesn't communicate to the workload balancer. We attempted a separate WF Calendar for daily velocity, but it is rather clumsy to use. Does anyone else run into this issue? How do you handle it?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@JlangCRS  you may want to look into the upcoming "Work Time" feature for what you're looking for. It wouldn't be 100% accurate because, of course, the number/length of any user's meetings changes day to day. But if you could determine an average for each user, it could be added to this new field on their profile.

"The Work Time field represents the percentage of Full Time Equivalent (FTE) time that the user is available for actual work"

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/product-announcements/product-releases/relea...

Scroll down to: "Introducing the Work Time field to accurately calculate user capacity"

It's in Preview now and planned to release to Production early March.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 7

We have similar issue.

We did approach that in following way:

• every users has set of "monthly task" against which they block off admin time. Every month there is a new task that runs from first throught the last day of the month (their creation is automated using Fusion).
  • Users should consult their daily schedules (e.g. outlook meetings) and use the tasks to block of part of their allocation to ensure they have enough time for their admin and resource managers can accurately plan their work
  • alternatively users have "admin request form" which creates a task using fusion which basically does the same thing, but can be specific to hourly level

challenges we face:

• users sometimes forget to block of their admin time (training issue)
  • WB is sometimes shifting hours, redistributing allocations randomly across the month long task (e.g. user enter 2h on Feb 24th, WB would distribute 2h evenly, ~0.2h/day for every day in Feb) - this is potentially a bug I'm investigating with WF support

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@JlangCRS  you may want to look into the upcoming "Work Time" feature for what you're looking for. It wouldn't be 100% accurate because, of course, the number/length of any user's meetings changes day to day. But if you could determine an average for each user, it could be added to this new field on their profile.

"The Work Time field represents the percentage of Full Time Equivalent (FTE) time that the user is available for actual work"

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/product-announcements/product-releases/relea...

Scroll down to: "Introducing the Work Time field to accurately calculate user capacity"

It's in Preview now and planned to release to Production early March.

Community Advisor

We've wanted this option for so long, I gave up hope! So excited you mentioned this @Heather_Kulbacki ‌‌

Level 2

Thank you for pointing me to the new "Work Time Field" option. I tested that option, but it will not work for our situation, at least in our current structure. Velocity changes every day for each staff member. It would be great if they could enter daily meeting time into the GA portion of timesheets, which would connect over to the workload balancer.