Expand my Community achievements bar.

Customizing Look & Feel of a Custom Form

Level 10
Customizing Look & Feel of a Custom Form. I have created multiple custom forms, however they are bland and boring. I want to make bold the field titles and be able to make the box outlines thicker, maybe change the color of text. Is this possible?
10 Replies

Level 3
Yes, it's pretty limited. Field names are only bolded when you designate them Required. Section header names are bolded orange. In additon to added formatting features, I would like to see a table arrangement. Another discussion around formatting Updates reveals a similar need: https://community.workfront.com/p/fo/st/thread=243

Level 5
agree with all said. One thing that CAN be helpful is using section breaks to make a bold statement or instructions, or add a field type of descriptive text.

Level 10
I agree with Marty about utilizing Section Breaks. I'd also recommend really focusing on what information a person has to give and use the Display Logic. We have found a lot of success with that. Our old print studio form was like 100 questions. Buy by utilizing display logic, we can help navigate users to the information we really need and it "reduces" the number of fields they see.

Level 5
Has there been any progress on the ability to add formatting to custom forms? Bold, colors, line for visual breaks, etc? If not, can we request Workfront consider adding that ability? Cathy Kenny Tire Rack

Level 9
The Custom Forms in general are externally functional! BUT that is as far as I can go in praising them! - no rich formatting - no ability to include graphics and or photos - no ability to produce an alias for a field name, which would allow similar named fields on customer facing views, but back end would be unique. - no ability to lock a form or field to a set Group - which makes it vary difficult to allow group admin access to update forms in a global enterprise situation - very limited ability on Requests Queue - request page setup I was hoping these would be in the 1st wave of the new experience -- but so far it doesn't look that way. I would say since its how the majority of new work is submitted into the system this needs to be modernized. I would say it should also be attached to how any changes to "Request Project" would also need to be modernized. As both inputs are showing their age badly. John Seitz DTCI | Disney | ESPN

Level 10
John Sietz hit them all, and I've upvoted every Idea Exchange idea to these effects, and created at least a couple of my own. I think Workfront underestimates the impact a "pretty" form has on the person filling it out. Good clarity and good hierarchy make a world of difference. Especially since an intake form can have dozens of questions, multiple sub-questions, related fields to speed fill-out, etc. even with display logic, one can only do so much. Kevin Quosig

Level 10
I'll second what several others have indicated. I've found the custom forms to be flexible and sufficient for capturing data properly that the layout doesn't matter much. Instead, I've found it more useful to focus on the design of the view in reports. Indeed, it takes an understanding of text mode, HTML5 and CSS to get extra creative, but it's worth it in my opinion. Thanks, Narayan Narayan Raum Workfront Delivery Lead - SunTrust Bank https://wf-pro.com for Text Mode & Solutions

Level 10
Narayun, You have me curious...how "pretty" have you managed to make a view/report? I'd enjoy seeing some examples! Kevin Quosig

Level 10
Just snapped this for another purpose actually, but it illustrates customization quite well: Narayan Raum Workfront Delivery Lead - SunTrust Bank https://wf-pro.com for Text Mode & Solutions

Level 9
Very slicks reports! But reporting doesn't replace the need for collecting data. Agreed some of our units do use reports screens as means of updating details from a CF. That said the native reporting should be able to provide the types of combined fields you have done (which again nice work). Unfortunately some of the core screens of Workfront have stayed stagnate for far too long! Now please don't think I'm anti-Workfront its an Amazing tool built and maintained by some very talented folks for sure!!! And I love the application as a whole! John Seitz DTCI | Disney | ESPN