Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Custom View for Requestors

Level 3

Hi all! Our internal clients submit work to our team through a request queue. I am trying to figure out a way to allow them to make notes on their project (they have no access to, issue only) so that their notes will show up on a weekly status report.

I have a field on the custom form named "custom report note". My solution was to build a report specifically for requestors and add this field to that report, so they could edit it and then it will appear anytime we run a report.

What I found is that I can add that field from the custom form to the report. However, If it is the issue field pulled from my custom form they can edit it but it does not appear on my report. If it is the project field pulled from my custom form they cannot edit it but it does show up on my custom report.

So down a rabbit hole I went. I believe that is because the request license does not allow access to edit projects, therefore inheriting the custom field from the project. I have looked over and over at access level edits, and I seem to not be able to give them the ability to edit a custom form pulled in from a project. Or really anything from a project (which is great, don't need that to change).

Is what I am trying to do, not possible?

Thank you!!!!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 7

Hi Vanessa,

Repeating this back so I'm sure I'm tracking - you have a requestor and they complete a request with it's attached Custom Form. In that form, there's a field called 'Custom Report Note'. They then have a dashboard that shows them all of their submitted requests and a column with the 'Custom Report Note' field that they can continually update weekly. At this point they can submit requests, access the dashboard and update that particular field as expected.

The PM (assuming?) then takes that Issue and converts it to a Project, which has an attached Custom Form at the project-level that mirrors the custom form attached to the request queue including that 'Custom Report Note' field. The requestor is able to see, but not update that version of the field if you reference the project-level version of it.

If everything I've summarized is accurate, then your troubleshooting is on the right track. A requestor license would not allow them to edit the project-level copy of the form/field no matter where you put it for them to view, they could only update the versions on the issue-level copy of the form. The best, albeit imperfect, analogy I've got is that it's a little bit like a survey you fill out online that emails you a copy of your answers afterwards. You could open the email copy of your answers (ie the issue-level) and make changes, but it wouldn't do anything to the data already stored with the company receiving the survey (ie the project level).

That doesn't mean you can't do what you're trying, it just has to be approached from a different angle. Your requestor will only ever be able to edit the field on the Issue itself, so your weekly status report has to be built at the same level. Instead of starting with a Project report, start with an Issue report instead and reference in whatever Project level data you need. Depending on what information you need in the overall report, a Work Item report might also help too.

Any of that helpful?

Katherine

Level 3

Hi @Katherine Stibley‚ this is incredible helpful! You are understanding my question correctly. I believe the answer is as you suggested to rethink my approach in that my status report should pull in the custom from field from the issue, not the project!

So I am attempting that. Though I can't create an issue report because I need project status not issue status to appear.

Since my report needs to remain a project report, I will need to do some text mode reporting to pull in a field from an issue. Can anyone help me with that code?

Thanks!

Level 7

An issue report can display a column with any of the fields from it's associated project, and/or the program/portfolio if you're using those. If you select "Status" then it gives you the Issue's status. If you select "Project Status", then you'll get the status of the project associated with that issue.

Or am I missing what you're trying to get to?

Level 3

Issue statuses and project statuses do not have the same naming, that is the only problem I am having so far with having an issue report over a project report.