Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Custom Tabs Visibility for all Users

Community Advisor
As an Admin, I'm about to deploy new layout templates for most of my users. I know that when you change a layout template you lose all of your personal custom tabs and was wondering is there a way to create a report that pulls if a user has custom tabs and if so, what page/dashboards are on each? I'm trying to avoid mass panic of "my report I use every day is no longer here;" but I also do not want to have to log in as 400 people and create a spreadsheet to learn this information. Also, there is no way all of my users would actually listen to me if I say, "take a screenshot of your Projects, Requests, and Reporting tabs" Any suggestions would be most welcomed! Monique Evans Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.
3 Replies

Level 10
That's a tough one, Monique, I took a look at the API explorer and the API, but was unable to deduce where the Custom Tab information is stored (let alone how to report on it), and also suspect that where ever "it" is, the New Experience Layout Templates will also be different. Barring a gem from Workfront Dev pointing you in the right direction, my suggestion would be to control the explosion: pick a Layout Template to upgrade run a report of those who use it email those user to schedule the upgrade, explain (with pictures) what will happen to any personalized custom tabs they've created give them some time to take their own inventory and/or provide a solid reason to defer the upgrade (e.g. 2 days?) perform the upgrade give them some time to report any oh-dang-that-DID-affect-me situations (e.g. 1 day?) rinse and repeat for each of the other Layout Templates, adjusting your affected audience size and warning/aftermath timing as need be Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Community Advisor
Thanks, Doug that's what I was afraid of and actually that was my contingency plan, barring that leadership is ok with me putting the accountability on the masses to notify us before and afterward. It's a weird line that we walk, sometimes we hold hands way too much, other times we make users accountable. Monique Evans Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.

Level 10
Ah! Thought of a Plan B, Monique: On a Monday (following the weekend refresh) apply ALL the new layout templates at once, in preview Explain the Custom Tab risk to ALL users at once, what preview is, that you've prepped preview, invite them to do their own side by side comparisons, and to create a special Workfront request (which you'd set up, in PROD) with a screenshot and description each discrepancy; AND (for hopefully the majority) "my stuff all looks good!" Issue to confirm they've done their part and are happy (consider giving out a trip to LEAP in a draw among the individuals who participate on these) Also share a public url link with them to a Workfront chart ( which you'd set up, in PROD) so ALL users can monitor (only) those issues (eg column chart by Entry Day, stacked by Issue Status) Resolve the Issues as they come in (either by teaching, and/or improving the new Layout Templates), building interest, confidence, and trust throughout the week On Friday, announce the results: either Go or No Go on Friday evening in PROD If Go, do so, Friday Keep the requests coming that first week Announce the LEAP draw winner the following Friday The "B" stands for "bold". Whaddaya think? Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore