Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!
SOLVED

Custom rule for reporting on "all" checkbox field

Level 2

I have an "industry" field setup as checkboxes. As such, there is an "all" option, so "all" means you are selecting all 10+ industries. On our reports, we do not want all 10+ industries displayed, as that is confusing people. Instead, I would like to use text mode to write a formula so that  - when industry field checkbox "all" is selected, the term "cross-industry" displays on the report under the industry field. Does anyone know the formula for this?

Note: we are keeping this field as checkboxes, so changing it to dropdown is not a choice.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor
Hi Jackie,
Try going to the industry column of your report, and in the conditional formatting, put in all the answers of your industry field. So in this example I'm using project type and put in a few answers and then you select the 'show text' checkbox and put in Cross Industry. I'm not entirely sure this will work because it may only be looking if any of these answers are selected, not all. If that's what happens, try using a 'contains' instead of 'equals' filter and put in all the industry names...

MadalynD_0-1673299208460.png

I know you said dropdown isn't an option, just making sure you're aware that a dropdown can be a multi-select field too, and you could have an 'All' answer in the dropdown. This would be easier to pull in reporting. With the 'all' with checkboxes, 'all' isn't an actual answer part of the form field so that's why it's difficult to pull a report based on that kind of 'all' vs. having all as an option in the field dropdown selection.

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor
Hi Jackie,
Try going to the industry column of your report, and in the conditional formatting, put in all the answers of your industry field. So in this example I'm using project type and put in a few answers and then you select the 'show text' checkbox and put in Cross Industry. I'm not entirely sure this will work because it may only be looking if any of these answers are selected, not all. If that's what happens, try using a 'contains' instead of 'equals' filter and put in all the industry names...

MadalynD_0-1673299208460.png

I know you said dropdown isn't an option, just making sure you're aware that a dropdown can be a multi-select field too, and you could have an 'All' answer in the dropdown. This would be easier to pull in reporting. With the 'all' with checkboxes, 'all' isn't an actual answer part of the form field so that's why it's difficult to pull a report based on that kind of 'all' vs. having all as an option in the field dropdown selection.

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 2

Thank you so much for your answer. When I use "equals" the rule applies anytime the user selects more than one industry, so technically it works. However, our PM's would like it to say cross-industry when "all" industries are selected-- so basically when the content is industry-agnostic. I'll run this past them to see if this could still work, since they could still use the phrase to then check which industries are relevant via the form. Oddly, "contains" did not work and still displayed all industry names. 

Thanks for the info on making a dropdown a multi-select field. I was not aware. The field is a shared field and I do not own it, but this info will help me influence change.