Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Custom Forms Library?

Level 2
Hello All, I am new to WorkFront. We are looking to create a set of custom forms to be used at the projects and/or tasks level. These are common forms such as Project Charter, Stakeholders Analysis, Test Plan, etc. I am hoping that I don't have to start from scratch. Please let me know how where / how to find them… Regards, Tien Nguyen Humana - Care Plus Health Plans
5 Replies

Level 10
Hello, Welcome. Other people might, but we don't use custom forms for those types of documents. We use templates built in Word or Excel and include the link to the document in the corresponding Workfront Project or Task. We actually have links to the Word or Excel Templates in our Project Template in the corresponding Task. So when the PM creates a new project with the WF Template they'll have a task in there to Create Project Charter. In the task we have a link to the Project Charter Word template. For us this allowed us to have more flexibility in updating the document (in general and formatting etc.). Word's formatting is obviously easier to use as well. And often we have to review the Charter with our Business (who don't all use Workfront). So that's how we did it. But others may have some ideas. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. Technical Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 2
Thank you Vic, We are looking for the best practice, either attaching a MS document or building a WF custom form. The thought is that we can pull data fields from the WF forms for reporting, for example to audit that the PM actually filled the form out before marking the "Create Charter" task as "Complete" Tien Nguyen Project Manager, Transformation Office Car e Plus Health Plans 4925 Independence Pkwy. Ste 300 | Tampa, FL 33634 T 813 829 8300 Ext 1021263 C 813 767 0688 F 813 829 8000 E tnguyen8@humana.com CarePlusHealthPlans.com
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain CONFIDENTIAL material. If you receive this material/information in error, please contact the sender and delete or destroy the material/information. Humana Inc. and its subsidiaries comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability or sex. Humana Inc. and its subsidiaries do not exclude people or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability or sex. English: ATTENTION: If you do not speak English, language assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711). Español (Spanish): ATENCIÓN: Si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711). 繁體中文(Chinese):注意:如果您使用繁體中文,您可以免費獲得語言援助 服務。請致電 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711)。 Kreyòl Ayisyen (Haitian Creole): ATANSION: Si w pale Kreyòl Ayisyen, gen sèvis èd pou lang ki disponib gratis pou ou. Rele 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711). Polski (Polish): UWAGA: Jeżeli mówisz po polsku, możesz skorzystać z bezpłatnej pomocy językowej. Zadzwoń pod numer 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711). 한국어 (Korean): 주의: 한국어를 사용하시는 경우, 언어 지원 서비스를 무료로 이용하실 수 있습니다. 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711)번으로 전화해 주십시오.

Level 10
For me simplicity would be best. The custom forms are awesome. We use them for a ton of things. But they can be clunky if you're trying to add a lot of text (even with the new formatting feature). For example, what if you want to add a table or diagram to your charter. You won't be able to do it in the form. I guess it just depends on how detailed your Project Charters (and other documents) are. If they consist of a few bullet points or rows, then the forms would work. If they're more elaborate it gets more difficult. So it'll be up to your personal/organizational preference. I do believe the simpler the better. If your company or division is new to Workfront, there will be pushback and a learning curve to contend with. Adoption will be a risk, so simplifying will help reduce that risk. And of course you can always add on more complexity later. But I don't believe there's a custom form library (to answer your original question). At least I never heard of one. Which would make sense since every company is unique and the idea of a custom form is to be... well custom �� Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. Technical Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 10
Hi, Project custom forms: We use multiple project custom forms & they work well for us. We attach the project forms to our templates, so that as projects are created, the forms come across. Using the custom form helps us add the business case/scope fields we need & helped us transition off a Word document. One thing to be aware of - you cannot integrate the project custom form fields with the Workfront native fields - so entering data on the Business Case tab seems disconnected for customers. (The custom form will appear below the native fields.) Also, custom form fields are all plain text - so no formatting options, numbered lists, etc.... Task custom forms: We tried these but they don't work for us. We had planned to transition an Excel/Word document into a Task Custom form to help with adoption - but found that there is no way to print the form. One item that is important to us that we unfortunately found out after we implemented a custom form, is that updates to custom form fields will not always stay on the Update tab so you can lose history (and the ability to report on the history). We have a custom form field for "weekly updates", where our Project Owners are required to provide us a high level weekly update. We use this update for our Project Status custom tab and for reporting. We found that though this update appears on the Update tab when initially entered, after so many updates (was 200) then it will disappear - with no way to report on it. Email me directly if you would like me to send you a copy of our current standard project form. Anyone: If you know of system improvements that resolve any of the above - please let me know! Marie Kelly The MetroHealth System

Level 4
I also looked how we can transition some of our MS word document templates to a WF custom form (for example project charter). I was able to create the project charter, however, I found some key limitations. For example, not being able to route the form for approval and/or not being able to print to PDF. Due to this limitation, we determined to keep the MS word version and upload to WF and then route for approval. I believe the purpose of a custom form is to capture additional data not part of the core WF system and be able to report on it. Unfortunately, it is not ready to be used a replacement for an MS word template. I have submitted an "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115008511733-Routing-Custom-Forms-for-Approval-or-Print-to-PDF">idea as a future enhancement to address the ability for a custom form to be able to be routed or exported as a PDF. Please feel free to vote on this by clicking on the hyperlink within this message. Thanks! Nick Vivanco