Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

Custom drop-down field - hiding choices for some but not all forms

Level 4

Hi, appreciate if anyone can assist. I have a custom dropdown field which is used in multiple custom forms. I want to hide some of the choices available on one of my forms though to simplify the range of choices available for a particular form. However, when I hide a choice it does so on all forms not just the form I'm working on. I'd rather not create multiple versions of the same field but with varying list of available drop-down choices if it can be helped.

Anything I'm missing or workarounds??

Thanks

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 8

We have the same issue and I ended up just having to duplicate the custom field because I couldn't figure this out...would also love an answer on this for future reference.

Level 4

Hi, I've now spotted someone else has raised this as an idea so maybe worth a vote, see below

https://one.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PST3AAO/detail

Thanks

Level 4

Hi Richard!

On the custom form that you are working on, if you scroll down, you will see a button that says "Add Logic"

If the information you want to hide is part of a section (this is the gold title header), then you would want to use the display logic.

Thanks!

Level 4

Hi thanks, unfortunately it's the choices within a drop down field that I want to hide, not the field itself.

Kind regards

Level 4

If you're looking for a quick solve, you may want to think about the logic of the forms as getting an idea approved and implemented in WF may take a while.

Can the list be broken into categories where a logic can be added:

If x and y checkboxes are shown, this dropdown displays.

Thanks and good luck!

Level 9

Hi Richard,

I feel your pain 100%. Although not ideal, here's how we used the workaround.

Field 1 - Line of Business

Field 2/3/4/5/6 - Dept specific to LOB- which only display depending on Field 1

In our case - some Depts are only available to specific LOBs. So, for example, Client Services is only available in 2 out of 5.

We then added a calculated field that said something like 'Project Dept_All' and it was a combination of 2+3+4+5+6. That is what we used to report from.

Two things:

1. Since the field name and labels could be different, the fields were named specific to the LOB (ex. Dept_PSG, Dept_RPS) but each of the labels (what the end users see) were identical in 'Initiating Dept'. So it didn't look like different fields to them.
  2. Looking backwards, I wished I had made the field choices the same. i.e. one said Human Resources another had Human Resources/L&D. Consistency among all five fields were easier for reporting purposes.

Right now what's on my wish list is field logic by topic group - i.e.. the project type can be built into the routing and only fields based on the topic group would show. But that's a far way off I suppose.