Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Compare Proofs button?

Level 10
https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000116714 Can anyone confirm whether or not they were able to get the new Compare Proofs button working if the reviewer does not have a proofing license? I didn't think to check, and I am only finding out now that none of my non-proofing-license people can see the magic button. If you know that your users can ALL see the Compare Proofs button, do you know if they STILL can see it? -skye
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

10 Replies

Level 7
Wow. Confirmed for us too, our Reviewers don't have the Compare Proofs button. I attended all release webinars and read quite a lot of the release notes yet never expected this. Barbara Sedlack BMO Financial Group

Level 10
Thanks Barbara. I was feeling pretty stupid about it yesterday. I wish that I had thought to check with a non-licensed user before it went live, because I still can't believe that is the way the feature is supposed to work--it is so silly, it has to be a glitch. It's not even clear on the support page I referenced below--both features (compare versions and compare files) are on the same page with no further clarification. Also I wish all of the Workfront features would clearly state which license type is able to use the feature so that we don't make assumptions ( @Tracy Smith are you listening? :) ) . I put in a helpdesk ticket and the tech said that was his understanding of how the feature worked so that's where my questions will start. i.e. Why would a reviewer not have need of this feature? Why would a proof generator need to have this feature instead? I have a meeting with @Skylar Sanford this morning so I might have to hijack a few minutes of it to get his understanding >:-( -skye

Level 2
Hi Skye, You bring up a great point. My team has been discussing this exact thing in the last few weeks. We plan to address it but it is not a quick fix for us. Feel free to send me any large pain points you have encountered and if there is something we can do in the short term to help, we will. Tracy Smith Workfront

Level 2
BTW, we are looking to see what we can do on this specific point. My previous comment was more if you have other specific examples that we should be aware of. Tracy Smith Workfront

Level 10
Thanks Tracy! Obviously for this specific point, the wording on the Beta 1 Release Activity notice currently states "You will now be able to select two document proofs within any single document list...". Imagine what sort of commentary you would have gotten if the wording had been changed to "Proofing license holders will now be able to select two document proofs within any single document list...". Similarly if in the video, if Etienne had started out the demo saying, "I'm logged in as a user with a Reviewer license and proofing license, this is the bare minimum I need in order to view the Compare proofs button" -- we would have all definitely raised a red flag to that. Several of us would have started asking why, and wanting to know what the intent was in giving that feature very specifically to the proofing license holders rather than to the reviewers. My question this morning to Skylar was "are we misusing the feature?? What was it SUPPOSED to be used for?" Similar pain points in the past (not necessarily related to feature releases) -- 1) We floundered around for months after we bought Workfront because we were never really clear who was able to tag whom in a Proof. The salesman who demoed the product had been very clear that tagging was possible and that it would help us collaborate in real time. Had we known all the restrictions on tagging (now sort of clearly documented in "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/223451948-Tagging-in-a-Proof-" title="Tagging in a proof">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/223451948-Tagging-in-a-Proof- ), we would have raised a lot of red flags before purchase. These restrictions make the tagging feature almost useless for us. We LOVE the idea of tagging people who aren't involved with the proof (to pull in SMEs who would normally not be involved)--but sadly, this was not the intent of the tagging feature, and I wish we had known that. 2) We were sometimes confused in when a feature is being released for the standalone Workfront Proof or the integration. (you guys have actually improved greatly on this point. 2016 Leap sessions were very confusing, but nowadays things are pretty clear) Short term fix? I feel like we (the people who have to read the feature releases) have to start giving the proposed new feature a side eye--doing a search on words like "You" and "User" and asking who "you" is and which "users" are being referred to. So maybe one way you can help is to make sure these are all clear. In the latest release activity note, you seemed like you were pretty clear--features are grouped as affecting either administrators or "all users." But two points: A) the feature release content is intermingled (features for admins are intermingled with features for all users) and all feature content starts with some variation of "You are now able to do XYZ". I just don't think it's fair to expect people to scroll back and forth trying to see which features belong to which listicle at the top of the article. B) even if you take a close look at the "all users" list of features, then you can see for example that, allocated to "all users" is the ability to create a project from a template. MANY of us know that in this specific case "all users" means Planner licenses. But for those not in the know, or those who are new, it would be a kinder, clearer thing to say "Planner license folks can now create a project straight from a template." In this way, if they were reading top to bottom, the next feature would say "System administrators can now configure Workfront..." and once again everyone would be quite clear. I don't have many answers for you and this probably isn't even a good solution, but it's all I have! Maybe it can inspire someone else to come up with something better. :) -skye

Level 7
I would also like to add clarity around proofing licence type (Premium vs. other). We just found out we don't have the "upgraded" proofing licences. With our licence, we actually can't use the new HTML5 proofing viewer -- that I already told our creative team they would be able to use! As an aside, why would we need the Premium proofing licence in order to see the new HTML5 viewer? Isn't the viewer essentially a pilot, where your customer's testing and feedback would be a benefit to you? Also, with the upcoming changes in Flash support, I presume at some point you will need to give us the HTML5 viewer, no? Barbara Sedlack BMO Financial Group

Level 1
Hi Skye We have updated the system so that anyone with access to document proofs are able to use the compare functionality. That means you no longer require a proofing license in order to use this Regards, Etienne Etienne Bosch Workfront

Level 10
@Etienne Bosch best news I've had all quarter! Please pass my thanks and appreciation to your team. -skye

Level 1
Hi - Just to confirm - the Compare Proofs button is NOT working with the new HTML5 proofing tool, correct? We do have the premium version - but can only see the Compare proofs option in the old ProofHQ viewer. Our reviewers use this ALL the time when reviewing new versions of documents that they have been asked to approve. Thank you! Laura Antos

Level 6
Hi, Proof comparison capabilities in the new HTML5 viewer are anticipated to be available in 2018.1. Andrzej Muca Product Manager Workfront