Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!
SOLVED

Column that provides a Project Name/link based on a different Project ID input into a custom field

Level 4

Hello! Another reporting question for this brilliant group.

We currently create various language projects based on a standard global project. We input the standard global project's reference number in a custom field that is on the language project custom form. We would love to be able to provide a link back to the global project based on that reference number. This would be especially useful within reports and within the portfolio views as a custom column... is this possible? It would even work in a calculated field if needed.

Example:

Global Project has Workfront reference number 1234

Language Projects A, B, C, D all have 1234 in the Global Project number field on the custom form.

Desired Outcome:

Show the Global Project name (the WF URL is probably wishful thinking?) next to the Language Projects on a report.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Heather - I'm not sure how you can do this with just the Reference Number of the project. But I do have another idea that I'm actually exploring with one of my own teams. (Not sure how willing you are to change things up. LOL!)

On the custom form of the project, use the new Typeahead field (set to Project) and call it Global Project. Allows people to just type in the name of the project instead of trying to find the reference number. AND it automatically gives you the name and the ID number so putting the name in a report is just adding the column from the picker Global Project- > Name.

As for the URL, I'm trying to work on that via a calculated field to get the URL but it looks like Typeaheads don't work in Calculated Fields yet. But if I get anywhere with that, I'll definitely share.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Heather - I'm not sure how you can do this with just the Reference Number of the project. But I do have another idea that I'm actually exploring with one of my own teams. (Not sure how willing you are to change things up. LOL!)

On the custom form of the project, use the new Typeahead field (set to Project) and call it Global Project. Allows people to just type in the name of the project instead of trying to find the reference number. AND it automatically gives you the name and the ID number so putting the name in a report is just adding the column from the picker Global Project- > Name.

As for the URL, I'm trying to work on that via a calculated field to get the URL but it looks like Typeaheads don't work in Calculated Fields yet. But if I get anywhere with that, I'll definitely share.

Level 4

You are a genius! This is exactly what we need. Since I already have that global reference number it is super easy to just add that column and data to the report that we are working on. Also, within the report you can simply just type in the reference number and the link to the project is what populates the field. SO EASY!

I LOVE this community. Makes my job infinitely easier.

Happy Friday!