Expand my Community achievements bar.

Column in project report for tasks assigned to filtered user

Level 5
Hi- I'm creating a project report to show projects a filtered user has worked on. I've included a task column, which shows me all of the tasks in the project, but is there a way to only show the tasks the filtered user is assigned to within the project? I'd prefer to not do a task report as the focus of the report is project-level, but I'd like to list the names of tasks to show how involved they are in the projects (worked on 1 task vs. 10 tasks). The text mode I have so far is this: displayname=Assigned Task Names listdelimiter=
listmethod=nested(tasks).lists shortview=true textmode=true type=iterate valuefield=name valueformat=HTML Also, there used to be a WF help article with various examples of text mode in a grid format but I can't seem to find it. I have a bookmarked page that I think is it but it doesn't work in the new experience support site so I'm wondering if the article didn't get transferred? If anyone has a list of text mode text, or has a proper link to the article, please share. Appreciate it, thanks! Janelle Hicks Lifespan Corporation
6 Replies

Level 10
Hi Janelle, I'd probably bookmark Narayan's wf-pro.com site, if you want some examples of text mode to look at. Briefly, right now your column is pulling a list of tasks for each project (look at the valuefield line). Replace this with a valueexpression line that basically says "if John Smith is assigned to this task, show the task name". (Ideally the report is keyed to the one user, because I don't think there's a way to apply a report prompt to a valueexpression.) Most of the time if I have to put a valueexpression together, I am combing my various reports looking for one that might work. For example in Narayan's site at "https://wf-pro.com/textmode/text-mode-views-collections/#assignments-roles" https://wf-pro.com/textmode/text-mode-views-collections/#assignments-roles I see one that starts out with "if assigned to is blank", and I might start by stealing that one for context, or there's another one downstream with assignedToID. I'm more fond of using assignment users than assigned to, but just grabbing at something for a quick example. So my valueexpression may well start out with valueexpression=IF({assignedToID}="your user's GUID, whatever that is",{name},"") In other words, if it's assigned to that one GUID, put in the name of the task, otherwise make it blank. I'd also be looking at his textmode blobs on that page to make sure my blob roughly matches it. But that's all part of troubleshooting. Once I get something like this working, to improve on it, I might go looking for the correct syntax so I *can* use the assignment user instead of the primary assignee. I might also specify that I want to list tasks that haven't been cancelled (we have a custom "cancelled" status). But I always get a very basic thing working first before trying to add on to it. Hope that at least puts you on a road to experiment. By the way, I also used to spend a lot of time searching the community posts for words like "valueexpression" -- this is super time consuming as you can imagine, especially with the way the search tool is currently set up. But if you can spare the time, you learn a LOT. -skye

Level 5
Hi Skye- This is helpful, thank you. I usually look around the boards and other reports I've done, but I didn't know what I was actually looking for as far as how to adapt something, if that makes sense. I'm still a work in progress when it comes to text mode- I find it a bit intimidating. And thank you for the additional reference sites. Janelle Janelle Hicks Lifespan Corporation

Community Advisor
Hi Janelle, In addition to Narayan's wf-pro.com definitive works in this textmode area, I just attended Chuck Middleton's Workfront Wednesday session on textmode, which was (as always) simply excellent, so when the the video's released, I'd encourage you to track it down and watch it. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 5
Hi Doug- yes, that webinar was perfect timing and I attended as well. I plan to re-review the video and accompanying Q&A when it's ready. Thanks! Janelle Hicks Lifespan Corporation

Level 6
I'm more fond of using assignment users than assigned to @Skye Hansen Can I ask what the distinction is between these two fields? This is something we've been trying to figure out as we work to standardize our reports. I know "assigned to" well enough, but I can't seem to pin down exactly what "assignment users" is and how I can use it. Thank you! :) Maddy Martin

Level 10
hi @Maddy Martin -- there will be some confusion around the assignment users field , so I'll start by saying this: the "assigned to" fields in an Assignment report is the same as the "assignment users" fields in an Issue or Task report. Now back to the answer. If your users have a tendency to assign multiple users to a task or an issue, a task report "assigned to" field will filter detail on the primary assignee (the first person you assigned). The assignment users will grab detail on all of them. So if your task report has a filter for "assigned to ID = John Smith" it will show results where the primary assignee is John Smith and miss any task where he was the second or third person assigned. That's on a task report. Meanwhile on an assignment report the filter would be more like "task assigned to id = john smith" (sorry, not looking at my report fields right now but that's about the gist of it) will get everything--it just works in a different way right there. I don't even know if there's an assignment users field in an Assignment report (I think the last time I looked, there wasn't). -skye