Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Changing the Order of Project Status View

Level 2
Hi, I am trying to reorder a report to show the project status by group in a different order. Here is an image of what it currently looks like: I'm sure there is a text mode that I can apply - I just don't know what it is. Thank you for any help offered! Theresa Theresa Larocque Team Lead, Learning Process Governance Suncor Energy
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

12 Replies

Level 5
Hi Theresa, I had a similar challenge-- we score projects and I wanted the highest number on top. What I did to fix my report: 1) Remove the grouping 2) Go into the column you want to sort by & select A-Z or Z-A depending on preference (for me, to get the high scores on top, I went Z-A) 3) put your grouping back ON. I did a save between step 2 & 3, but not sure it's necessary. The results I got are attached. Hope this solves your problem! Jennifer Ching Robert Half International Inc.

Level 10
hi Theresa where project statuses are concerned, in "grouping," these are sorted alphabetically... by Key. (this is that 3-character key that you see in the Setup Area, under Project Preferences in the Statuses section). So here's a list of some of my statuses and their keys. When you group, they will sort in this way. CPL Complete CUR Active DED Dead IDA Idea ONH On Hold PLA Planning Phase PLN Project Setup I see what you are trying to do in your statuses (putting in numbers so that they will sort in that way) but have you tried putting the same numbers in your 3-character keys? (obviously try this in the sandbox first) (I'm not great at text mode, so I honestly don't know if there's a text mode workaround for this.) -skye

Level 2
Hi Jennifer, thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately this hasn't resulted in an ascending report based on grouped statuses for me. Question: Is the Priority Score that you are grouping by a custom field or standard system field? Thank you! Theresa Theresa Larocque Team Lead, Learning Process Governance Suncor Energy

Level 2
Hi Skye, I was super excited to see your post and then realized that I can't edit the 3-characther key in the Setup Area (and I am the system admin). Can you edit yours or were they created with the intention to enable the process for ascending/descending reporting? Thank you for the insight! Theresa Theresa Larocque Team Lead, Learning Process Governance Suncor Energy

Level 10
Hi Theresa Let me preface this by saying that we don't have any requirements to create reports that order status in a certain way. So I ran a report in my sandbox, and made a guess that this was how it was being ordered. I didn't have time to create a new status and check it, but it would be simple for you to check simply by writing out a list of your Keys alphabetically and seeing if that lines up with your report. If we suddenly need our reports to be ordered by status, we would have to go back to the drawing board. The statuses that you create: e.g. 02 Scoping, 03 Planning, etc. have the Key available to edit only one time, which is at the time you are creating them. If you suddenly decide to do something different (such as ordering statuses alphabetically), you have to start over. Starting over would involve 1) setting up a new set of statuses with the correct keys (e.g. AAA, BBB, CCC, DDD, EEE), 2) doing a giant cleanup (changing all the project statuses over to the new statuses) 3) deleting all the old statuses 4) any renaming necessary to get the project status names where they need to be. I really recommend you set this up in your sandbox first and verify that it works the way you intend it to, before foisting the change onto your system and then having it (potentially) not work. In Jennifer's example, she is sorting by numbers, so it's much simpler (there was one way to represent a number, as opposed to there being 2 ways to represent your status). I hope that helps clarify things! -skye

Level 10
Hi Theresa, I think you will need to add a calculated field to a common custom form, or attach a custom form to all relevant issues. On the form, you'll need to translate the statuses into an ordered list in nested IF statements. For example, IF(Status="NEW", "1. New", IF(Status="INP", "2. In Progress")) You can customize the column or the grouping, but I don't think it's possible to sort on a calculated result unless it's stored as data on the form. Workfront Delivery Lead - SunTrust Bank https:// wf-pro .com for Text Mode & More

Level 2
Hi Theresa, I've needed to do the same thing. Here's what finally worked: Create a custom form with a calculated field. The calculated field will dictate the order. Here's the formula I have: IF(Status="CUR","1", IF(Status="PLN","2", IF(Status="YAY","3", IF(Status="NBU","4","z")))) Then I added a column to the end of the report I wanted sorted to pull in this field. I then sorted it by this column, and then changed the column width to width=1 so it doesn't show on the report. Hope this helps! Jennifer Gulledge Elkay Manufacturing Company Inc

Level 10
Hi Jennifer - there is a way to sort by a column and not show it. Add the column like you did and sort the way you want. Then go into the text mode and copy the lines for querysort, sortOrder, and sortType. (They aren't usually together so you will need to work it a little so the three lines are). Then you can remove the column all together and find another column in your report that you aren't sorting. Go into the text mode for that column and change remove the querysort line and instead paste the three lines you copied. So now, even though it looks like you are sorting by Column B, you are actually sorting the info from another column. I did a quick video in case I didn't explain it well. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 2
Thanks Anthony! I tried it and it worked well. I like the cleaner view. Jennifer Gulledge Elkay Manufacturing Company Inc

Level 10
Very clever, Anthony! Thanks for sharing! Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Jennifer, here's some text mode to aid in sorting by a hidden column if you need it: https://workfrontpro.com/textmode/text-mode-views/#hidden-column Narayan Raum "https://suntrustedo.my.workfront.com/dashboard/view?ID=5c1bf1f90046e70adeecf882731a47b9"> Workfront Center of Excellence Delivery Lead Enterprise Data & Governance Execution (EDGE) SunTrust Bank

Level 2
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and input. My next step is to learn how to build a calculated custom form....in the meantime, the leader asking for this fix is happy to receive a pie chart with the groupings rather than the out of order list. Actually, not a bad solution! Thank you again! Keep learning!! Theresa Theresa Larocque Team Lead, Learning Process Governance Suncor Energy