Expand my Community achievements bar.

Change Control in Workfront

Level 2
I'd like to see if anyone uses change control successfully with Workfront and tips and tricks that made it successful for you. Right now we do it outside of the application / service and would like to find new ways to use it for changes. I'd be appreciative of process or work flows that helped you with the system as I'm kicking around ways to adopt it for this purpose. Tim
3 Replies

Level 10
Well I've heard Change Control described at least 3 different ways depending on who you talk to �� . There's code version control, change control for scope/schedule/budget changes in projects, and then there's simply notification/documentation of a change going to Production. We use WF for the last two. For project scope changes (we now call it a Change Order to avoid confusion). But it's basically a custom form describing the changes and we attach an Approval process. For notification/documentation of a change being done to Production - We have the developer/tech fill out a WF custom form with all the pertinent data, then we have an API job that generates an email to all of IT (if that notification option is selected in the form). We've configured the job to send that email each time the Status is changed as well. So people will know when the change is planned, when it's In Progress, and when it's complete. We also have the requests display in the WF Calendar. Does that help any or were you looking for code version control?

Level 2
We use a Project Request queue for submitting RFCs to the Change Advisory Board. We do a weekly CAB meeting. Users have an existing ISSUE (different request queue/project) that is used to tie RFC to an Incident or Service Request. We use the Workfront Approval process to route changes to CAB members who can approve if needed outside the meeting format (emergency changes). Custom fields are used to capture Success / Failure, back out plan, testing plan, etc. Users move the Issue from New -> Pending Approval ->Approved -> In Progress -> Closed. We use this process to support all changes - code promotions, server reboots, software updates (Workfront v18.2), changes to backup schedules etc. Greg Brisendine MRC Global

Level 3
I have implemented this need with several dozens of clients. Some clients like a simple log while others prefer a very much more robust process. The trick is understanding the process to follow. Then, you translate that into a request queue, a set of reports, and the custom form(s) to support the data. Let me know if you need a hand with a standard CCB or CAB process, where I would help do all of these things with you. Doug Williams - NETSource Consulting NETSource Consulting Helping others simplify the complexities of their Workfront installations.