Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Can resources charge time to closed tasks

Level 2
We are trying to keep on top of project status, updates, planned hours etc to provide a realistic view of a project. It appears though that when a task is marked 100% a user cannot log their time to that task. Our users lag behind several days and some users even weeks. Can we somehow allow a user to log time to a task that is 100% complete as long as the day they are logging to is prior to the date the task was complete? When we keep the task open until all users log their time and then mark it complete it is not the actual day the task was complete so the EAC looks off because it thinks you took longer to do that task than originally planned. We don't want to plan time to add time for users to log their hours as they are not really working on the task so we don't want to show allocated hours. Any advice on how you deal with logging time but keeping the project accurate in WorkFront would be appreciated. Sharon Noll Matrix Medical Network
4 Replies

Level 10
I believe that is something that is done under setup – Timesheet & Hours – Preferences. There you will see a couple of checkboxes. Make sure this one is checked. Log hours on projects that are complete. Michael Lebowitz Marketing Analyst Michael.Lebowitz@guidewellconnect.com T 904-436-4240 | M 904-200-1364 Fax 904-565-6156 4800 Deerwood Campus Pkwy DCC 800-4-272 Jacksonville, FL 32246

Level 8
Dear Sharon, You can allow it, but not timebox it (i.e. Log hours to closed tasks but only for 24 hours after they are closed). You can also manually change the actual completion date/time. It defaults to when you mark the task as closed (or the planned completion date of the task, again depending on your preferences). So you could still not allow logging to closed tasks, but close them the next day and manually change the actual completion date. Barry Buchanan Work Management Australia

Level 10
There is a setting in preferences that you can enable to prevent users from logging time in the future. However, this isn't very beneficial for us since the setting is Enterprise-wide and affects the ability of a user to log time in advance for training, or other types of activities. So we don't have this setting turned on. With the new Task/Issue Access options our PMs can go into each Task/Issue and turn the log time option off for each person assigned, however, this creates a lot of maintenance on their part, when they should really be focused on the Project and it doesn't address the problem of letting a person back date a transaction prior to the Actual Completion Date. There are various posts on the Idea Exchange about this same request. It would be nice if there was a setting to enable a user to log time to a Task/Issue that is complete as long as the hours they are entering are prior to the Actual Completion Date of the task/issue. Sometimes tasks are closed out earlier in the week and if a resource is entering time at the end of the week it would be helpful to let them be able to enter their time up to the Actual Completion Date. Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 2
Yes this is exactly what I am looking for. But at a minimum as long as they can log time to a task (not a project) that is 100% I would be ok with that. So I don't think the first suggestion of turning on the setting that allows Log hours on projects that are complete will work if I can't log hours to a task that is 100%. Any more suggestions? Sharon Noll Matrix - Internal