Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Can I create a filter to see projects that are shared with me that I manage?

Level 3

I have a user that has requested that they become the manager of a number of projects that they were previously not managing. I have set them up with manage rights via the Share button on these projects. However, the only means that they currently have to see these is through a report that they aren't the owner of and they want to see these projects on their Projects queue. Is there a way to build out a filter that would allow them to see all projects shared with them that they manage through the Projects queue? Currently, I am stumped and I am having zero luck assisting them with this.

Thank you,

6 Replies

Community Advisor

You could try the following sample code. (you'll find these fields under the "Share" object in the API explorer)

EXISTS:A:$$OBJCODE=ACSRUL
EXISTS:A:securityObjID=FIELD:ID
EXISTS:A:accessorID=<GUID OF YOUR USER GOES HERE>
EXISTS:A:coreAction=EDIT

The code says:

1) There exists an access rule

2) Where the "security object ID" field is a project ID

3) AND in that project, one of the "accessor ID" fields is the GUID of the user you shared it with (you shared it with them by name)

4) AND they got shared with "edit" access (I think this is what the system equates to "Manage", but if you don't get the right results, just go back to the API explorer and pick another value for Core Action)

Level 3

Forgive me, but I'm not a coder by any stretch. Would I use this in the Text edit for the custom filtering? And where would I find out what a User's GUID is, or would I just type in their name for that part to work?

Thanks again,

Community Advisor

The user's GUID can be found on their landing page URL. If you search for your user, and locate their page, it should look something like this:

https://YOURDOMAIN.my.workfront.com/user/string-of-gibberish/updates

Copy the string of gibberish. This is the GUID.

Any filter should have something in the upper right corner of the screen that says "switch to text mode". The standard practice is that you get "as far as possible" by putting in whatever filters you can in "standard mode", such as "project status is current" and "project was created this year". Then you switch to text mode, and copy/paste the sample code above, plus whatever other changes you need.

Community Advisor

Hi, could you just make the project owner on these projects be the new person managing them and then he/she can use the Projects I Own filter? You could pull the projects in a project report and bulk update them all to change the project owner…

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 3

I want to, but the short answer is that we have a contractor that is PMing all of these projects. So making them the owner of all of these would be a bit of a headache. And I am currently trying to find a diplomatic way to let this contractor know that the current method they are trying to work in isn't going to work and that they will have to use a pre-established form that we just finished building out a few months ago. I have only been the Sys Admin since Feb, so I am trying not to create too many enemies just yet.

Community Advisor

Hmm. When you say they want to see projects shared with them in the project queue, are you saying all of the projects are from requests converted from a specific queue or queue topic? If so you could pull a report of projects stemming from that queue and have the user work from that…sorry trying to grasp the situation to determine how to help

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )