Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

can anybody help me create project report showing cross project dependencies?

Level 1
I have multiple programs with multiple projects in it. Some of the projects have dependencies on projects in other program. In my review with senior management, I want to show list of projects grouped by program with their current status and also want to show that project is dependent on other project in other program, so need the name of the dependent project. I am not able to find any way of doing this. Program ABC: Project 1 Project 2 Project 3 Program B Project x Project y Project z Project y is dependent on completion of Project 2. Task in Project y already has that dependency set. Now, I need to report which shows list of all projects group by Program Name, Project Name, Status, Dependencies.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Level 7
Hopefully you'll get some good answers here, but I think the challenge will be that the cross-dependencies aren't at the Project level, but at the task level, so you may need to write a Task report and not a project report. And you can have multiple tasks in a project with multiple cross-project predecessor tasks assigned to them.

Level 1
Thanks Greg. I understand how the cross project predecessors work but I was trying to find out the dependencies at the project level not at individual task level. My review report is not for a particular project, it's for the overall portfolio for which I am extracting all the projects using the project report and plan to show one column for other project dependencies. I don't want to show which one needs to finish first and all, I just need to a way to show that the project has dependencies on other project (in the same program or other program) and here are the names of those projects. If I will run the task report than I need to extract that report in excel and do lot of massaging to show what I need. I am just trying to avoid manual work.

Level 10
Hi: Workfront doesn’t have anything that models project dependencies - only task dependencies. MS Project has the concept of project dependencies - they call them subprojects. I wish Workfront had that. Best wishes! Eric

Level 3
I don't have a total solution to show cross-project dependencies at the project or program level. However, I have created a custom column when viewing tasks that shows their Cross-Project Predecessor(s) and the project(s) they are in. I imagine that you can also show the program(s) that the project(s) is in. displayname=Monitored Project / # Task listdelimiter=, listmethod=nested(predecessors).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=IF({isCP}="true",CONCAT({predecessor}.{project}.{name}," / ",{predecessor}.{taskNumber}," ",{predecessor}.{name}),"") valueformat=HTML Here is a custom column to show the cross-project Successor task(s) and project(s) they are in. displayname=Monitoring Project / # Task listdelimiter=, listmethod=nested(successors).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=IF({isCP}="true",CONCAT({successor}.{project}.{name}," / ",{successor}.{taskNumber}," ",{successor}.{name}),"") valueformat=HTML

Level 10
Robert's solution is also what I used. I've attached an example task report showing how you can display this info. If you need specific column text, let me know.

Level 10
Robert, This is great. Is there any way to link the successor so clicking on it will take you to the task?

Level 3
Hi Marc, I hope someone more Workfront savvy that me can tell us.

Level 10
Hi Marc and Robert. I'm attaching a screenshot of a Cross Project Predecessors Report With Links example, and an Excel spreadsheet of its definition, so you can copy and paste it into your own environment, if you find it useful. I tip my hat on this one originally (back in 2011) to my good friend and fellow aficionado Dave Jones, who noodled it out and shared it. Regards, Doug