Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Calendars -- Ability to Add Custom Date Fields

Employee

Hey folks ‚Äî I’m excited to announce a new feature that is now available in your Preview environment. This new feature is planned to remain in Preview for two weeks before it releases to Production! You can now add custom date fields to calendars for greater visibility into your organization's most important dates. Previously, you could manage your calendar only with native dates. Check out the full details and demo video here. Over the coming weeks, additional enhancements to calendars will be made. Thanks!

Jeremy Flores

Product Manager

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

16 Replies

Community Advisor

thanks Jeremy. This is great. (I just tried it out in Preview.)

Are you allowed to share what other changes are coming? (It looks like you're about to add a "no" option to the "switch to actual dates" dropdown, which would be pretty awesome.

Level 10

Thanks Jeremy,

@Heather Lambert‚ might this help you enough with the Calendar Report: dates shift based on user time zone discussion we were having for you to hold off on your Sharepoint calendar workaround?

Regards,

Doug

@Doug Den Hoed‚ - yes, I think this will work since we originally capture the webinar date and time in a field on the custom form. If I can pull that date in instead (and it doesn't change per timezone) we are good to go! Thanks for thinking of me.

Community Advisor

Thanks Jeremy, we're looking forward to this moving to production!!

Also agree with Skye, a "no" option to the "switch to actual dates" dropdown would be awesome.

Level 4

This is awesome! We are so glad to see this come to life, excited to have it in production.

Level 10

Hoping that Planned Completion Date will be in the calendar, it would solve all my problems.

Level 1

Thanks Jeremy. I want to agree with Sky and Heather. I think the "no" option to "switch to actual dates" would solve a big problem for me. I use the project planned completion date to plan my editorial calendar. This is the date we publish by, and we don't always close the project on that same day. The problem is that actual completion date supercedes my planned date, and my calendar no longer represents the date the article was published. I was told by WF that I cannot change the actual dates, but if I could choose to use only the planned dates in my calendar, it would really help.

Level 7

@Buffy Robbins‚ The 'Actual Completed Date' of a task is absolutely an editable field (see screenshot). That's our workaround here for this challenge until a 'No' option is available. A Project Owner can change the Actual Completed date of any task on their project. A Work user can only change the completed date on a task assigned to them, so there are some limits to it.

Level 1

Thanks Katherine, I have been using the project actual completion date. It will not edit on my system. I just tried to edit a task actual completion date and that is editable. So, I will have to reconfigure my calendar and add a special task to my projects, but that will fix it for now. Thanks again.

Level 7

Ah, the project date, not a task date. The project actual complete date isn't editable precisely, but it can be manipulated. It will update itself to whatever the latest actual completed date is for any task on the project once all tasks have been completed. Not sure if that trick will keep you from having to redesign your calendar, but hope it's useful.

Katherine

Employee

Keen eye @Skye Hansen‚. Yes, that is the plan...to add the ability to ignore actual dates. Coming very soon.

Level 4

@Jeremy Flores‚ - this feature has been AMAZING for us! Quick question, and maybe you aren't the one who can help me, but when I am putting in the fields for my custom name on the calendar, I'd like it to be named the {issue name} {de:webinar date and time} {de: time zone} - How do I pull in the time along with the date from the custom form Date field which has show Time of Day enabled?

Thanks!

Employee

Glad you are liking the feature Heather! You would likely have to use the Hour ( ) and Minute ( ) functions in a calculated field and use that in the label.

Level 5

This is huge for us. Thank you for this improvement!

Level 10

@Jeremy Flores‚ Is this functionality will be available for Workfront Classic also ?

mvh

Kundan,

Employee

Hi Kundan,

Yes, it is also available in Workfront Classic.

Best,

Jeremy