Expand my Community achievements bar.

Calculated Field Displaying Assigned Role?

Level 9

I'm looking to see if this can be solved by a calculated field.

Jennifer Smith in her profile can either be Copywriter or Quality Analyst on any given project.

Is there a way to create a calculated field on a project form that pulls in whomever is assigned the role Copywriter to a project?

(When I pull in assigned roles, it shows Jen Smith's default role of Copywriter, even if she's assigned as QA).

It's purpose is to pull in the assigned resource so we can use it on another form for specific projects.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 10

Hi Christina,

It would be possible to do so using in iterate, but expensive since it would have to run every time you look up that value, and fragile if a second copy writer were ever added.

Instead, I would suggest creating a drop down at the project level, with the values of the drop-down being the GUIDs of each of the people who might be selected as copy writer, so you can filter using $$USER.ID, etc.

Regards,

Doug

Thanks Doug! This would still require some manual intervention, right?

I thought it would be as simple as seeing who is assigned in the people area of the project.

I'm trying to not create manual work, but be able to provide a sort of project summary that can be provided to stakeholders, etc. that do not have access to Workfront. So this field would be auto-populated vs. someone manually needing to enter who the assigned resource is each time.

Level 10

Correct Christina,

The dropdown approach would require "filling in" that (official) Copy Writer at the Project Level, which is extra work, and could be/get out of sync with the reality of the User(s) assigned to Copy Writer Task(s).

So instead, based upon the Assignment Name and Role example on WF-Pro, I invite you to give this textmode a try (assuming "Copy Writer" is indeed the name of the Role of interest):

valueexpression=CONCAT(IF({role}.{name}="Copy Writer",{assignedTo}.{name}," - ",{role}.{name},""))

listdelimiter=

listmethod=nested(assignments).lists

valueformat=HTML

displayname=Assignment and Role

textmode=true

type=iterate

Regards,

Doug

Level 9

Hmm. Thanks Doug. I think I'm struggling because this context is for a report. What I am attempting to do is to create a custom form that has limited fields on it for a specific department.

So it would not be on a report, it would be visible as a calculated field so to speak. It doesn't sound like it can be done without fusion however!

So I think even if I make a drop down with the select employee's choices, it won't help me any. Although I wonder if I can do a typehead field!

Level 9

....and, still finding another question I asked many moons ago....in trying to clearly identify the assigned role in the project that a person is logging time via.