Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Breaking down data silos

Level 2
Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems there are a lot of silos of data inside Workfront. I think I understand the data hierarchy and that you can only access data two objects away. But I want more. How can I get it? I have a custom form on a Program with some data in it. I want to be able to access that data on the Program custom form from an Hours Report. But these things don't seem to talk to one another. I want to use it in a Column (View), but it's not available in Standard Mode. Is there a way to get the info using Text Mode? Any help would be appreciated. Chris Jackson CheckMark
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 7
Hiya Chris, While that's the theory, we worked to build some documentation around a way around this. You can use EXISTS in a report to bounce further than the 2 object 'limit', though this only applies on filters: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011623794-Create-Complex-Text-Mode-Filters-Using-... For a column the workaround I've used is to use a custom form that references the data on the object above. IE: For the data on a program, you can access it via a project report, but not on an hours report. So, you create a project custom form, add a calculated field that references the program data (IE: Program.Custom Field) then you can reference the data, as it's now stored at the project level. Our remote consulting team is fantastic when it comes to getting text mode or calculations to work, so I'd definitely reach out to your Account Executive to ensure you have a couple hours, and then you can schedule some time with them if you need it. Good luck! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 2
Brilliant! Thank you so much for your reply. I'll give it a shot. Chris Jackson CheckMark

Level 2
@Dustin Martin I want to thank you again for your reply. You provided the missing piece that I needed to put it all together. My report is not quite complete, but it's shaping up nicely. It's awesome that Workfront has such a great community. Chris Jackson CheckMark

Level 7
You're very welcome Chris, I'm glad to hear your report is coming along nicely! I wish you the best of luck. All the best, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront