Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Billing records and invoicing projects process

Level 2
Interested in hearing from others on how billing/invoicing is handled. Our old system would auto-generate monthly spreadsheets that has project metadata and total project costs that we use to bill our clients. With Workfront, it seems that you need to create a Billing Record in order to marked the project hours and expenses are billed/invoiced. Which would mean that we would require each PM to manually create a billing record each month for all their projects that have billable hours and expenses for that month. Sounds very time-consuming and tedious to our teams. I did a quick search for billing records here and saw that there is an app that might speed some of the process of creating billing records: "http://store.atappstore.com/product/auto-bill/" Autobill. I will look into that further but am interested in hearing from the community on how they handle invoicing. Do you create billing records? If so what is your process? If not, how do you bill/invoice and how do you keep records of what was billed in Workfront? Phuong Kress z_Electro Creative Workshop (users)
1 Reply

Level 2
Hi Phuong We do not create billing records in WF. We use Quickbooks online (QBO) for invoicing. We transfer the data from WF to QBO (TrayIO interface) and have the API write back (change status) 'billed' to the hour or expense to keep a record in WF. We also have payment milestones that we mark as Done for fixed fee projects to note those were billed. Those tasks can only have their status changed by Planners to minimize inadvertently marking a financial Task as Done. One caution that WF support has confirmed and in their list of updates: an hour from a timesheet can be recalled or unapproved and re-approved even if it has been put on a billing record. There is the same issue with expenses. An hour can be billed twice if not careful. Good luck Annikki Desmarais Cantactix Solutions Inc.