Expand my Community achievements bar.

Billing Rates/Rate Cards

Level 4
I wanted to get some recommendations from the Community. We work with clients that have different rate cards for roles. I currently have the clients set up as companies and attach roles to those companies with billing rates. I have a few clients that have different billing rates based on tiers. For example, Client A has different billing rates for Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3. In the system, I have it set up as Client A-Tier 1, Client A-Tier 2..... Is there a better way to set this up? Leslie Tanner CreativeDrive
2 Replies

Level 2
Hi Leslie, I think that is a good approach. Another way you could approach it would be to set up Project Templates for each client tier and pre-fill the billing rates on those, if you wanted to streamline your Company setup. You don't have to create tasks or anything else for the template if you don't currently use them or just want the billing rates to be the only details set. Best of luck figuring out your solution! Molly Privratsky Trendline Interactive

Level 8
Hi Leslie, I think you are on the right track with one company rate card per client tier. Another point you might want to consider: How do you want to manage updates to your rate cards? For minor updates like adding a new role, do you want the new rate to automatically sync to all your projects? Should projects always used the approved rates from the company rate card (i.e. no custom rates are allowed)? If you answered yes to both questions, I recommend going to your project settings checking "Allow company-level billing rates to override project-level billing rates". This will enforce syncing between your company rate cards and your project rates. When this setting is not enabled, applying a company copies the rates to the project and the rates then "live" independently from the company as project rates. For major rate card updates (like a renegotiation), I recommend creating a brand new rate card. This enables you to use the company level override setting and ensure you are using the new rates on all new projects. My final recommendation is to make sure you have your roles figured out before you create your rate cards and start using them on projects. We did an overhaul of our roles a few months after going live in Workfront and it was very time consuming to update the past project rates and hours to match the new roles. Karen Marck Wunderman Worldwide