Expand my Community achievements bar.

best practices for creating a campaign of work

Level 1
Hello - new to WF and came into the organization as the team was soft launching. I am looking for advise on different ways to set up a campaign of work. As we all know there are often multiple ways to configure the system. If there are links to this on the HELP site, I was unable to find. Any input or shared experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Jen Marshall MarComm Project Manager WEX South Portland, Maine 207-523-6144
8 Replies

Level 5
Hi Jen, You are correct- there are so many different ways to configure the system! We launched about a year 1/2 ago- and at the time we were the only ones in a system- so we used PROGRAMS to tie the multiple deliverables to a campaign. We made the decision that each deliverable in a campaign will be a project. This is so we can manage the deliverables easier- as they always have different schedules, etc. This worked fine for the time being. But now- we're bringing on other departments and we will no longer be able to count on PROGRAMS to do this- as our configuration will be global- and programs will no represent other buckets. So- I'll be curious how other folks answer this question. I think what we're going to do going forward- is add a campaign field to our custom form at the project level- and then build a dashboard that will group campaigns together. I haven't completely thought this through yet...but this is what I'm thinking about..... tks! Karen Karen Rutz Harvard Alumni Affairs and Development

Level 10
Karen We went thru the exact same problem and made that same change starting this year. The tricky part we are finding is that our campaign database isn't always the first thing updated so projects get created in WF without knowing the campaign name. Our marketing managers have to go back and fill that information after the fact. Other than that it seems to be working. Michael Lebowitz Marketing Analyst Michael.Lebowitz@guidewellconnect.com T 904-436-4240 | M 904-200-1364 Fax 904-565-6156 4800 Deerwood Campus Pkwy DCC 800-4-272 Jacksonville, FL 32246

Level 5
Hi Michael, I suspect we'll have the same problem! Although we had it at the Program level as well- folks just shoot the admin an email asking to add the info....... Karen Karen Rutz Harvard Alumni Affairs and Development

Level 4
We have our Portfolios set up by company/departments, and then the campaigns are set up as Programs. This works great for the marketing teams, but not so much for the development teams. We have included a custom field called Project Type. This way, reports can be generated by those teams that work on specific projects (e.g. email dev team can review all email projects). We've been doing this for a year now, and it seems to be working very well. Michelle Jackson Colony Brands, Inc.

Former Community Member
Workfront suggested two potential routes: A. Each deliverable is an Issue/Request within one campaign project. Or, each deliverable is a project, united under one Program. We're just starting out, and intend on starting small, with a "campaign project" and each deliverable as a task in that project. The advantage with tasks seems to be it consolidates updates and proof versions under one task. And tasks are pretty easy to digest at a glance, in a project. The documents area could get messy, but we're going to try to use versions to keep it tidy. As I say, we're just starting out! Ask me in a year. haha William Dodson MaineHealth

Level 7
We went with each deliverable as a project route, that then ties to a larger program (aka campaign), which is what we had been doing before we got Workfront and just continued on with the same process. We found this to be the best for us, as each deliverable typically has a different due date, and each deliverable has its own workflow. (For example, the creation of a Blog Post is different than the creation of an Email, a PowerPoint, an Infographic, etc.) And, each project is set up using the corresponding templates that we created for each deliverable type. So, for us, a Program looks something like this… Program Name: ABC Product Launch And under this, we would have all of the deliverables associated to the ABC Product Launch… ABC Blog Post ABC Infographic ABC Poster ABC Flyer ABC PowerPoint ABC eBrochure ABC Email Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 1
We have been struggling to clean this up with our company as well - we also do the individual projects that roll up into the larger program. Terry and anyone else doing this - do you mind if I pick your brain? Do you create a separate project to establish the "plan" and generate the schedule for each of the projects or is that done off-line and then each project is entered separately? Do you struggle with the program field getting too cumbersome to navigate? Jennie Bell Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.

Level 7
As to your first question, no, we don't have a separate 'plan' project right now. We usually discuss the campaign off-line, and then the manager enters in the projects, and then it goes through the steps for scheduling/assigning designers, etc. As to your second question, yes, most definitely! Our "programs" drop-down list is starting to get burdensome -- managers need to scroll through a very long list. No easy way to manage/archive at present. You might be interested in this past Community thread: "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=ffc6936e-7a5b-4a42-8a02-66bcd680d813&CommunityKey=aaafaff0-5e4e-4e38-8903-f1f990935567&tab=digestviewer#bmffc6936e-7a5b-4a42-8a02-66bcd680d813">Archiving Programs And, here is the idea that Brooke had submitted to the Idea Exchange, as noted in the thread. It has 67 votes and is currently "Under Consideration" by Workfront: "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115004139993-Archive-Programs-Clients-Etc">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115004139993-Archive-Programs-Clients-Etc "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=ffc6936e-7a5b-4a42-8a02-66bcd680d813&CommunityKey=aaafaff0-5e4e-4e38-8903-f1f990935567&tab=digestviewer#bmffc6936e-7a5b-4a42-8a02-66bcd680d813"> Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services