Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Backlog Management

Level 4

We are trying to manage our backlog of enhancements. We have a release of enhancements every month with key milestones and players. I would like to have a project for each enhancement so we can assign resources and manage the documentation of the enhancement. However, I need to see a holistic monthly view of those projects plus a view of the year of backlog projects. I thought of creating a Backlog Portfolio with the Program being the year (ex. 2021 Enhancements) and each month (we call them sprints) as the Project. The individual enhancements that lie under those sprints would be issues that I would then convert to a project, assign a template, hours and resources. I'm just not sure this is the best approach and it's starting to get a bit messy. Looking for guidance on a great approach to managing a backlog of enhancements. I've looked into Kanban but I am unsure I can get the full view of details I need.

Thank you!

2 Replies

Employee

Hi Tara,

I'm tagging the @Agile Conversation‚ group since it sounds like you're looking into a few new ways to use Agile methodologies as you work and I think the people there might be interested!

Thanks,

Kyna

Level 3

Hi @Tara McKinnon‚ - great questions, thanks for posting! Can you say more about this part: "I need to see a holistic monthly view of those projects plus a view of the year of backlog projects" - what info are you looking for in these views? For example, are you looking to understand what's in progress? or how booked the teams are? or...?

I'm asking because I typically do not recommend using the work objects (portfolio, program, etc) for representing "time" (years, etc.) - I encourage only using them for "work" - stuff of value that you are building. If we were in person, I would ask questions like "are there themes/patterns to your enhancements? can you group by those themes at the program level?" etc.

Then, depending on your needs, you could create a report view or use a timeline view to get the other info you are looking for.