Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AssignedBy field in custom form

Level 4

Is it possible to create a field in a custom form that tells you who assigned a task? The only field that I see is assignedTo which tells you who the assignee is and not who assigned the task. I would like to avoid using Fusion for this but can use Fusion if necessary.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Long story short: while you can report on it, I don't think you can create a field for it.

A task can have multiple assignees. Each assignment made (one assignment per assignee) has the ability to store an assignedByID. There's no way to make a calculated field that reports on a collection of assignedByIDs.

However, you can always run an assignment report and easily see who assigned it. You could also create a dashboard that houses this assignment report and then put it on the task as a custom section. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Long story short: while you can report on it, I don't think you can create a field for it.

A task can have multiple assignees. Each assignment made (one assignment per assignee) has the ability to store an assignedByID. There's no way to make a calculated field that reports on a collection of assignedByIDs.

However, you can always run an assignment report and easily see who assigned it. You could also create a dashboard that houses this assignment report and then put it on the task as a custom section. 

Community Advisor

Hi @Lawson02,

When an assignment is made, the assignedToID switches, which you could detect, then track in a calculated parameter that shows (or prepends, if you want a history) when it happened, and by whom (which would be the logged in $$USER.name, or -- more easily -- the Last Updated By Name at that moment) using my Targeted Auditing technique, without Fusion.

That said...

While technically possible, it would be tricky to set up, enforce, and maintain. Furthermore, since it is limited to only the Primary Assignee, as my esteemed colleague @skyehansen pointed out, I'd agree that an Assignment Report would be a superior path.

Regards,

Doug

Community Advisor

I will add just one "fun fact"

there is a field in Workfront that stores this natively, which you cannot include in report, but you can include on a task page in header

Rafal_Bainie_0-1723117930173.png

it is called "requested by". As previously pointed out, it will only capture user who modifies primary assignment on a task and will remain blank if someone Volunteers to work on a task, i.e. assigns task to him/herself.
I asked support to make this field reportable, but quite naturally they suggested to post an idea on this, which I believe I did... would have to search for that

Level 6

You can use Fusion to populate a custom field on the Task. You would need to get the Assignments and Loop through for the Assigned To and then get the assignedByID for that assignment. Or you could just create a string that showed all the Assignments with their assignees and store that on the task

Level 4

That's what I ended up doing. I tried the custom field changing within the form but it was too difficult and complicated so I just went with using Fusion.