Expand my Community achievements bar.

API Explorer - Innovation Lab Idea

Community Advisor

If you sometimes find the API Explorer a bit frustrating, this idea could use your 2 cents! It's on the roadmap, but wouldn't hurt to indicate exactly what you'd like to see.

https://one.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PSKCAA4/detail

I'd like to see a description column in the API Explorer to indicate what each item is in plain English. Most of the items are fairly straight forward, but some are not clear.

For example, I've recently learned while trying to do a User Kick-Start:

• Layout Template ID - applies only to Workfront Classic
  • UI Template ID - applies to New Workfront Experience

and you need to use the appropriate one depending on which you are working in.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Employee

Hey Heather,

Digging up some old threads to provide some answers, and I wanted to present to you the latest version of our API Developer site:

https://developer.workfront.com/

This site will allow you to actually start building API calls within the page, it's pretty nifty if I do say so myself.. and it makes things a little easier to understand.

Community Advisor

Thanks @Dustin Martin‚

I'll need a pretty serious tutorial on how to use that page. I've looked at it before and can't figure it out to save my life. I really don't know anything about creating API calls and such.

Mostly what I use the API Explorer for is finding the correct field name for Kick-Starts or text mode reporting.

Using that page, how would I go about finding that the correct field name to use on a Kick-Start for layout templates is UiTemplateID - especially considering that the field in Classic was LayoutTemplateID

Employee

Ha, well that is fair!

The uiTemplate object is the new table for Layout Templates for New Workfront Experience.

Some things aren't all that intuitive, even to some of our veteran Workfronters. However, you're welcome to reach out to Support to ask questions, we love helping where we can!

Here are a couple common examples that stump folks:

Category = Custom Form

Parameter = Custom Field

Parameter Option = Custom Choice/value of a Custom Field

Optask = Issue

=)