Expand my Community achievements bar.

Add Issues Priority Field to Custom Form

Level 2
I apologize if this is really basic of a item to ask about, but I'm looking to add the built in field for the priority of an Issue that the requestor selected onto a custom form. What I want to do is run a calculation and assign points depending on what is chosen between Low, Normal, High, and Urgent. I've setup a priority weight system for product development purposes and requests where we can sequence work to do first vs. last based on what's legit important and not just the user's feeling of priority (which is also important but not the only factor typically). I've tried a calculated field that is Text and typed in issue.priority, issue.priority.status, tried both in proper case and lower case, I've looked on the API field page to see if it's something else in the background, and tried the values behind the priority names of 1, 2, 3, or 4 but no matter what I try it keeps coming up to zero for the scoring. Here is the calculation I setup to try to capture this from the built in field (without yet adding it to the custom form level for an Issue object): IF({PRIORITY}='Urgent',50,0) IF({PRIORITY}='High',20,0) IF({PRIORITY}='Normal',10,0) IF({PRIORITY}='Low',1,0) I've tried the above as mentioned with their value, and each of these have their own custom field that is a calculated field that is also a number calculation. What I believe I have to do is bring the selected priority down to the custom form level and then my calculations should work but there could also be other calculations to try that I'm not seeing yet. I appreciate any help the Community can provide on this (or to point me to an article that already covers this as my search results hasn't found it yet... not to say it's not out there) :) Tim Greek IEHP
1 Reply

Level 10
hi Tim, 1) There is a field picker in the calculated field area that you can use to determine the case for that field. If you start typing in "Priority" it will come up under Issue Priority and you can just select it (double click? single click?) and it would come up right in your calculation. This works for a lot of fields. You shouldn't have to guess, most of the time. 2) I really recommend you do a simple calculation first: just one selection. If you can get "if priority = low, then 1" working, that would give you the beginning of the syntax you need for the entire calculation, and you can start to add complexity after that. 3) in this particular case, whatever you need will appear to be 1 long calculation, as opposed to the 4 that you have strung up side by side. So it would look more like this: IF(Priority=Urgent,"50",IF(Priority=High,"20",IF(Priority=Normal,"10",IF(Priority=Low,"1","0")))) (note: I'm not really certain if this is correct or not, but this is the rough shape I'd be expecting to make the calculation out of. n other words, if it's urgent, give it 50, and if it's not, look to see if it's high, in which case give it 20, but if it's not then look to see if it's normal and give it 10 if it is, and if it's not then look to see if it's low. If the issue priority can be null, then yes, give it a zero (does this ever default to normal? I don't know how priority works in an issue)) -skye