Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Access restrictions on custom form sections

Level 2

Good morning, all.

This is possibly a dumb question but those are my specialty, so here goes ... At one point in the not too distant past, I was able to restrict edit access for a *section* in a custom form to folks with "Manage" access to the project. For example, we have a "Project Approval" section on our main custom form. The ability to edit data in that section was restricted to users with "Manage" access to that project. That section should not be wide open for all users with contribute access to edit.

I can't seem to locate that restriction any longer. On top of that, it seems that the restrictions that I had in place on those sections of my custom form are no longer there.

Has anyone else seen this? Or am I just blindly overlooking this access setting? Maybe the verbiage changed and I'm just not seeing it?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Harold,

When you click the section of interest on the custom form, the "Grant Access" section should appear on the left side, as shown below (where you can then choose the audiences for View and Edit).

On the Gotcha side (although it was a while back, and might have been fixed)...my convention is to put such sections at the bottom of the custom form (ideally, the last section), since for forms with multiple sections an such permissions, I recall seeing such permissions "leak" into sections further down the form.

Regards,

Doug

0694X00000J2kJSQAZ.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

The terminology has changed and I find the "edit" vs. "limited edit" confusing, where the prior terminology was fairly self-explanatory

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Harold,

When you click the section of interest on the custom form, the "Grant Access" section should appear on the left side, as shown below (where you can then choose the audiences for View and Edit).

On the Gotcha side (although it was a while back, and might have been fixed)...my convention is to put such sections at the bottom of the custom form (ideally, the last section), since for forms with multiple sections an such permissions, I recall seeing such permissions "leak" into sections further down the form.

Regards,

Doug

0694X00000J2kJSQAZ.png

That "leaking" seemed to be related to another problem that I last saw back on Classic (I haven't done many complex custom forms since we switched to NWE):

Sections are supposed to know what is under them. The nice part is that if you moved a section header it would bring all the contents of that section with it.

Problem was, the editor often got confused what fields and parts underneath were part of that section. Sometimes it would smartly assume "everything until the next section," or sometimes only grab select fields from underneath and leave the rest behind.

I noticed this sometimes had to do with what order you added things to a section…fields moved to a section after-the-fact from another section would not be tagged behind the scenes as beloning to the new section.

So I would assume section permissions would get equally confused and, as you say, "leak" into sections below for whatever reason. I put my permission-limited sections on the bottom as well for this reason.