Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How Fusion dynamic update dropdown options in workfront custom form?

Level 2

Hi, I created a custom form with a dropdown component, for the dropdown options I need to get from other sources (not hardcode), for example from a database.

I can use Fusion to connect a database table and get the options data, but how should I update the dropdown component with Fusion.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi - we've done something along these lines.  We need to replicate the Opportunity record from Salesforce into Workfront to enable our teams to link projects to Salesforce Opportunities.

We are:

• leveraging Fusion to ingest messages from Salesforce related to the Opportunity records and corresponding data changes
  • Fusion creates the mirror record as a project within Workfront. These projects use custom fields to store the needed attributes.  These projects all live in a portfolio only used for them.
  • We then leverage Workfront's type ahead field functionality to build the linkage.  The type ahead field functions similar to the dynamic dropdown/pick list I hear being described in the question.

As new opportunities are sent to Workfront, projects are created. The creation of these projects adds them as choices in the typeahead using Workfront's standard typeahead custom field functionality.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 6

I don't believe you can have a drop down update dynamically or you will lose any data that used items in the drop down that no longer exist.

Level 2

Thanks @Stacey_Robertson, If there was a workfront API which provide update custom field object, that would be perfect.

ioiolkl_1-1660272592988.png

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi - we've done something along these lines.  We need to replicate the Opportunity record from Salesforce into Workfront to enable our teams to link projects to Salesforce Opportunities.

We are:

• leveraging Fusion to ingest messages from Salesforce related to the Opportunity records and corresponding data changes
  • Fusion creates the mirror record as a project within Workfront. These projects use custom fields to store the needed attributes.  These projects all live in a portfolio only used for them.
  • We then leverage Workfront's type ahead field functionality to build the linkage.  The type ahead field functions similar to the dynamic dropdown/pick list I hear being described in the question.

As new opportunities are sent to Workfront, projects are created. The creation of these projects adds them as choices in the typeahead using Workfront's standard typeahead custom field functionality.

Level 2

Thanks @Jason_JB your solution is very helpful, you mean you set project as the Referenced Object Type, right?

we have lots of projects, so that means user may search some irrelevant contents, did you add any filters?

ioiolkl_0-1660273984469.png

Level 7

Yes, that's correct - the "Referenced Object Type" is "project".

Yes, we have filters that limit the options.  For the specific example I mentioned we're filtering based on portfolioID and project.status.

Jason_JB_0-1660274458813.png

Level 2

Hi, @Jason_JB 

Thanks for so quick response, This is very very helpful to me, very appreciate!

Community Advisor

If you would prefer to update a dropdown list instead of doing it this way, that is also possible. You have to update the parameter options for that parameter (aka property).