Expand my Community achievements bar.

Automate Kickstart Based on Excel File Drop

Level 10

Hi Fusion Community,

This request is likely beyond my skillset; however, I thought I'd post it in case anyone has ideas.

We currently face a limitation around being able to allow users to import projects via Excel files.  We thought maybe we can leverage Fusion to automate this process.  For example:

• User drops Excel file in X location
  • Fusion watches this location and grabs the new file
  • Fusion scenario then uses this file to initiate the KickStart import process

Yes, folks can send these requests to our WF Admin team to then import using KickStart, but we're trying to remove the bottleneck around this, and make it simple for users to import projects via Excel files.

Any ideas or an elaboration on what might be required for the above option would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

13 Replies

Level 10

I wonder if I can use the Google Sheets connection, and the Search Rows module?  After capturing that data, use Create Record module to create the project and associated tasks?

Community Advisor

If you have a google drive connection, you could use the "Watch rows" module, and then when a new row gets added to a target sheets file, Fusion would parse out the information on that row to create your new project.

Community Advisor

You could do it with CSV files. You could have  a target location to upload to and watch that event, or you could build a request queue and have Fusion watch that, really the specific trigger event would be up to you. Fusion can parse out CSV files, so you'd just have to ingest the CSV and then code your Fusion scenario however needed from that point.

Level 10

Hi Chris - I want to add/create a number of tasks based on the tasks listed in a previous project.  I have all of the tasks from the previous project listed in an iterator.  Do you know if I'd need to use some API method (JSON) to create all of these tasks with a new project?  If so, would you happen to have some same JSON I can use/modify?

Level 10

Disregard...I did it with a simple Create Record module

Level 7

Hi Chris,

I'm working on something similar. I noticed that when I use the Create Record module to create a task in my project, the planned start date from my Excel file (which is 23-Feb-2023) is not captured correctly. Instead, it takes project start date (5-Jan-2023). Do you know why this might be happening?

_Manish_Singh_0-1691094956120.png

Community Advisor

The first thing I would check is if you can set the planned start date manually in the same way you're trying to do it automatically. Usually, the problem is that some task/project setting is overriding it being set with the API, such as the task being set to start as late as possible.

Community Advisor

Are you looking to have it create your project plan (tasks) for you or just to create a project with custom form data?

I've only ever done it to create a request, I've never done it to create a project plan so I can't speak to that. But you can use excel and have it trigger when a new workbook is created or a new line item in a excel file is created. You would just have to setup your specific parameters for it to map.

KellieGardner_0-1691009091811.png

Level 10

Thank you, Chris and Kellie!
Good suggestions.  I want it to create the project plan (including tasks).
Chris, your mention of me defining the trigger event lead to the idea of watching for new Document uploads in WF that contain a certain custom form.  Watch even, download the document, parse the document and create records (project, tasks).  Likely have to play with this a bit, but helped me start down a path.  Thanks again.

Level 10

Hi @NickVa1,

As an alternative approach, I invite you and others to consider our Scheduled Excel Updater solution, which is the same concept (albeit from the pre-Fusion era).

Regards,

Doug

Level 9

We do this.  I have a search but you can set it as a watch record setting.  It downloads the .txt file and then finds the data points in Workfront and creates the project records with portfolios, programs, templates, custom forms and fields filled in within minutes. 

I have a project in Workfront with a folder named a certain way. When a record is placed into that folder the scenario runs. Then I archive the document to another folder.  I am working on adding a step to this to move the document for me to the next folder. 

KIMBERLYREA_1-1693506357220.png

Level 10

Interesting, thanks, Kimberly.
I might reach out to you once I find bandwidth to pick this up again.

Level 9

It's one of the templates available in Fusion but yes happy to chat later. 

KIMBERLYREA_0-1693576433802.png